Fire Force Season 2 Ep 14 Review – Quick Summary
In Fire Force Season 2 Ep 14, “The Ashen Reaper,” Victor Licht confessed to the gathered members of the 8th Special Fire Force Company that he was a Haijima spy. The reaction was slightly different than what he had expected. Akitaru Oubi agreed that sending Shinra into Haijima, even knowing it was a trap, was probably the best way forward, so Victor and Shinra made the trip. As they walked through the compound, the sheer number of guards made it clear: they were not getting out again easily. But when they arrived at the testing facility, they found that the real problem was even worse.
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Favorite Quote from Fire Force Season 2 Ep 14
Fire Force introduced Kurono, a particularly nasty villain, in this episode. How do I know he’s nasty? Well, for one thing, we saw him beat the crap out of Nataku, who was a kid. He was the young boy Rekka had turned into an Infernal using one of the fire bugs back in season 1 episode 8. For another, we have the man’s own words.
To explain why he liked to pick on weak children, he said (12:13), “The weaker they are, the less I have to worry about myself getting hurt.”
Well, I guess that qualifies as thinking something through…
Best in Show Moment for Fire Force Season 2 Ep 14
Victor was a little deflated when Oubi said that everyone knew. Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
Setup: Victor Carried a Heavy Burden
Remember in the previous episode, when the President of Haijima asked Victor, as a Haijima spy, to find a way to get Shinra into their facilities? Victor readily agreed, but at the beginning of this episode, it seemed like the situation weighed heavily on him.
Coming back from Haijima, Victor walked up silently behind Shinra. He was even more serious than usual. He said that he wanted to talk to everyone in the 8th Special Fire Force Company.
Everyone gathered in Oubi’s office. The lighting was low. The yellow sunset streamed through the window. Everyone was quiet.
Victor seemed to think he was unloading a massive secret. Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
“This is extremely hard for me to say,” Victor said (03:45), “and I apologize in advance, but I, Victor Licht, am a Haijima spy, embedded here at the 8th.”
Delivery: Only Iris Was Surprised
There was silence until Iris gasped. And only Iris. There was a great shot of Shinra, Maki, Iris, and Hinawa. While Iris stood, her hand held up to her open mouth, the other three stood nonchalantly with neutral expressions.
Victor was a little surprised at how “underwhelmed” everyone seemed.
Only Iris seemed surprised. Though maybe she was just being polite after seeing how important Victor clearly thought the announcement was. Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
Oubi, a man of few words, said (04:05), “Mm-hmm, we knew.”
Yeah, I know, it’s nothing monumental. It’s not as exciting as the outstanding battle near the end of the episode between Shinra and Kurono. But I just loved how the moment flowed from the previous episodes. I loved how it played with my expectations, because when he first said it, even the music’s dramatic note seemed to imply Victor’s confession was a big deal. But no, only Iris hadn’t seen it coming. I enjoy it when a show plays with its audience like that.
What did you think of Shinra’s fight with Kurono? What was your Best in Show moment? Let me know in the comments.
Fire Force Season 2 Episode 14: Other Posts
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Enen no Shouboutai: Ni no Shou – Episode 14 discussion
- DOUBLESAMA: FIRE FORCE SEASON 2 EPISODE 14
- I Drink and Watch Anime: Fire Force 2 Episode 14 – The Devil You Know
This Site (Crow’s World of Anime!)
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 1 Review: A Fire Soldier’s Fight
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 2 Review: Flames of Madness
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 3 Review: A New Flashpoint
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 4 Review: Groping through the Fire
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 5 Review: Corna (Sign of the Devil) / A Secret Plan
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 6 Review: The Time to Choose
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 7 Review: Road to the Oasis
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 8 Review: Smoldering Malevolence
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 9 Review: The Core
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 10 Review: The Woman in Black
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 11 Review: Dark Hero
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 12 Review: Shadows Cast by Divine Light
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 13 Review: A Pair of One-Eyes
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 14 Review: The Ashen Reaper
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 15 Review: A Three-Way Melee
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 16 Review: Mind Blown
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 17 Review: Boys, Be Weak
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 18 Review: The Holy Woman’s Anguish / The Man, Assault
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 19 Review: The Oze Family
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 20 Review: Weapon of Destruction
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 21 Review: Enemy Contact
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 22 Review: Plot for Extinction
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 23 Review: Firecat
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 24: Signs of Upheaval