Fire Force Season 2 Ep 4 Review – Quick Summary
In Fire Force Season 2 Ep 4, “Groping through the Fire,” Shinra’s battle with Charon showed no sign of slowing down — except, maybe, for the amount of damage that Shinra accumulated. Meanwhile, more and more Infernals popped up. With Akitaru Obi and Sister Iris cut off from Maki Oze, Vulcan, and Takehisa Hinawa, and with Arthur off looking for Haumea, the 8th Special Fire Force Company found it hard to maintain their position, much less push forward. How will they make headway? Will they even be able to hold their own? And just what is Inca up to?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Best in Show Moment for Fire Force Season 2 Ep 4
Inca certainly knows what she wants — and it’s not help from Shinra! Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
Setup: Inca’s Shocking Independence
Charon has been kicking the daylights out of Shinra for two episodes now. On the other side, Inca’s been kicking him in the rhetorical teeth. At once point, Shinra and Charon argued over who Inca should go with. She loudly declared she would decide her future — not them.
Charon took four loud, heavy, smokey steps towards her and said (06:53), “You possess an Adolla Burst. Your freedom…. is gone.” His hulking sense of menace was so profound that I felt like backing away from the screen. For an instant, Inca looked terrified. Then, remembering just how brutal Charon had been when he casually destroyed her friend, she got this manic grin on her face. It wasn’t fear driving her smile. Before she could respond, Shinra attacked Charon again, saying he would take her someplace safe.
That does not look like a scared smile. Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
She actually chewed him out. There was no way she would live a “safe” life without any thrills. Shinra was utterly taken aback. He couldn’t understand what she was saying. Angrily, she said (07:49), “You’re turning out incompetent scum that can do nothing but wait for you!”
I know what she’s talking about. She might be wrong, butI get it. Years ago, when I was a PC consultant, I wrote an application to make it easier to order and inventory the IBM PS/2s we bought. I knew the models inside and out, but some of the other consultants who used my system couldn’t tell the difference between a PS/2 Model 50-021 and the PS/2 Model 50-061. It was stupid, but I blamed myself for making it possible to order without learning the technical specifications. What Inca said might appear insane, but it made sense to me.
Delivery: Inca’s Radical Self Reliance
I wondered if Inca was simply an adrenaline junkie. Maybe she didn’t really understand the threat that Charon represented? Did she really think that he wouldn’t take her into custody?
Especially seeing to how he demolished a building using Shinra as the battering ram?
I found the answer soon enough. During that aforementioned assault on the building, Shinra (who’s durable as all get out) managed to throw Charon ahead of him. It didn’t hurt him at all. The enormous man landed on his feet and stopped his skid. He looked back and grinned, clearly enjoying the battle. Shinra came to the blasted opening in the building. He saw Charon, but then he saw, a little below them, two of Charon’s forces restraining Inca. She demanded they let her go.
Charon certainly seems to be enjoying himself. Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
Shinra said that he was going to save her. She gave him a look that, frankly, I thought could combust concrete.
“Butt out,” she spat (16:12). “I want to live someplace that scares the living daylights out of me!”
This young woman is fearless. She’s not afraid of going with Charon. Instead, she’s annoyed. She doesn’t want Shinra’s help. Instead, she wants him to respect her boundaries. She in no way a conventional character, and I have to say that I really, really like that. I even like the effect she’s having on Shinra.
“What is wrong with you?” he asked, honestly mystified. She’s going to make Shinra redefine what it means to be a hero. I’m looking forward to that, too!
Were you disappointed that Tamaki was up to her old tricks? What was your Best in Show moment? Let me know in the comments!
Fire Force Season 2 Ep 4: Other Posts
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Enen no Shouboutai: Ni no Shou – Episode 4 discussion
- Doublesama: FIRE FORCE SEASON 2 EPISODE 4
- I Drink and Watch Anime: Fire Force 2 Episode 4 – Day of The Living Ash
This Site (Crow’s World of Anime!)
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 1 Review: A Fire Soldier’s Fight
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 2 Review: Flames of Madness
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 3 Review: A New Flashpoint
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 4 Review: Groping through the Fire
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 5 Review: Corna (Sign of the Devil) / A Secret Plan
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 6 Review: The Time to Choose
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 7 Review: Road to the Oasis
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 8 Review: Smoldering Malevolence
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 9 Review: The Core
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 10 Review: The Woman in Black
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 11 Review: Dark Hero
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 12 Review: Shadows Cast by Divine Light
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 13 Review: A Pair of One-Eyes
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 14 Review: The Ashen Reaper
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 15 Review: A Three-Way Melee
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 16 Review: Mind Blown
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 17 Review: Boys, Be Weak
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 18 Review: The Holy Woman’s Anguish / The Man, Assault
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 19 Review: The Oze Family
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 20 Review: Weapon of Destruction
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 21 Review: Enemy Contact