Fire Force Season 2 Ep 9 Review – Quick Summary
In Fire Force Season 2 Ep 9, “The Core,” Lieutenant Pan, Victor Licht, and Arthur pressed on towards the Core. Even though Arthur had broken the numeric code, they don’t know what the rocks pieces meant. Meanwhile, Shinra, Tamaki, Ogun, and Takeru Noto tried to hold off Tempe-sama and his Infernal minions. As the battle heated up, Shinra thought he heard an Adolla Link, maybe from the reactor. Was it possible the Benefactor was trying to communicate with him? It was impossible to tell with Tempe-sama’s relentless attack. But if Shinra pulled himself off the front line so he could hear, is it even remotely possible that Ogun and the rest could stand for long?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Favorite Quote from Fire Force Season 2 Ep 9
The battle was heating up. Shinra and Ogun engaged Tempe-sama. Suddenly, Takeru shouted to Tamaki that there were Infernals behind them.
“Well, of course they are,” she snapped (05:20). “We’re surrounded, after all!”
I really enjoy her particular brand of snark!
Best in Show Moment for Fire Force Season 2 Ep 9
Arthur’s genius noticed that the apparently random numbers on dozens, maybe hundreds, of stone tablets represented the value of pi. But the meaning of the word eluded him. Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
Setup: Arthur Was Right!
Can I give a Best in Show award to a moment that didn’t happen? Tamaki kept her clothes on for the entire episode! Not only that, but she reminded me why I liked her character in the first place. She’s snarky, she quick-witted, and she’s courageous.
Okay, I can’t give a Best in Show award to a non-existent moment. Nor can I give an award for a singular moment that spans about 1/2 the episode. Ogun showed some serious badassery in this episode, but I can’t award individual moments because each moment was fantastic. It just didn’t feel fair to isolate one moment from his continuum of awesome. So, I went for a moment whose setup actually started in the previous episode. Licht had been racking his brain to figure out the number sequence when Arthur looked at the stone tables said pointed out that it was the value for pi.
In this episode, Licht couldn’t believe that it was true. Arthur pointed to one of the tablets and said (01:45), “See? It’s easy to tell from the numbers on the wall.”
It’s hard for a genius to explain what’s obvious to him to someone else. Licht still had no idea how Arthur had identified those numbers are belonging to the value of pi. Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
Lieutenant Pan couldn’t believe that Arthur even knew the word “pi.” Pan was closer to the truth than he knew.
Delivery: But Arthur Didn’t Know Why
Arthur was justifiably proud of himself. Pan, still in a state of disbelief, asked why Arthur had memorized the value of pi.
“Because I’m a Knight of the Round Table,” he said (02:12).
It took Pan a second to realize what he meant, so Arthur came out and told him that as a Knight of the Round Table, he investigated circles. Pan’s expression didn’t change, but you could just tell that he was trying not to growl or say something rude. Licht tried to laugh it off as just another delightful aspect of Arthur’s personality.
Licht seemed almost proud of Arthur. Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
Then Arthur asked (02:28), “By the way. What is pi? What is the Round Table?”
We didn’t get to see Pan or Licht’s reaction, because the episode cut to the opening song. Still, the moment was not only funny, it was completely in keeping with Arthur’s character. He’s a genius in very focused ways. For anything outside of that focus, it’s really hard to say how he’ll perceive it. That’s a challenge for him and the people around him, but you know what? I take some comfort in knowing he’s one of the front-line fighters for the Eighth Company. He fought Haumea to a standstill, after all. He has his challenges, but he’s a great part of the team. I like that as a message.
What did you think of Ogun’s FLAMY INK? What was your Best in Show moment? Let me know in the comments!
Fire Force Season 2 Episode 9: Other Posts
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Enen no Shouboutai: Ni no Shou – Episode 9 discussion
- DOUBLESAMA: FIRE FORCE SEASON 2 EPISODE 9
- I Drink and Watch Anime: Fire Force 2 Episode 8 – Mixed Messages
This Site (Crow’s World of Anime!)
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 1 Review: A Fire Soldier’s Fight
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 2 Review: Flames of Madness
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 3 Review: A New Flashpoint
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 4 Review: Groping through the Fire
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 5 Review: Corna (Sign of the Devil) / A Secret Plan
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 6 Review: The Time to Choose
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 7 Review: Road to the Oasis
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 8 Review: Smoldering Malevolence
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 9 Review: The Core
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 10 Review: The Woman in Black
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 11 Review: Dark Hero
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 12 Review: Shadows Cast by Divine Light
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 13 Review: A Pair of One-Eyes
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 14 Review: The Ashen Reaper
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 15 Review: A Three-Way Melee
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 16 Review: Mind Blown
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 17 Review: Boys, Be Weak
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 18 Review: The Holy Woman’s Anguish / The Man, Assault
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 19 Review: The Oze Family
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 20 Review: Weapon of Destruction
- Fire Force Season 2 Episode 21 Review: Enemy Contact