Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 14 Review – Quick Summary
In Fruits Basket Season 2 episode 14, “I Should Just Die…,” Tohru Honda’s grandfather hurt his back, and the rest of her family really didn’t want to to go Tohru’s parent-teacher conference. Making a show of his magnanimity, Shigure Shouma offered to go, much to Tohru and Yuki Shouma’s shock. Was Shigure being genuine? Or did he have an ulterior motive? Later, Yuki came upon Isuzu “Rin” Shouma, who tried to avoid him. She dropped a major revelation on him, and he didn’t have time to recover before Hatsuharu “Haru” Shouma found them. The meeting was tense. Why did Rin dump Haru? Does he still want her back? And what did Rin’s revelation have to do with Haru?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Best in Show Moment for Fruits Basket Season 2 Ep 14
Rin clearly said she didn’t want him to touch her. At the same time, she just as clearly leaned into the kiss. A beautiful moment, intriguing in its complexity… Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
Setup: Haru and Rin, Partners in Crime
After he chased Rin down, Yuki learned something at the same time we did. Namely, that back when Akito Shouma had basically imprisoned Yuki, Haru and Rin would visit Yuki. While Haru tried to lift Yuki’s spirits, Haru would keep watch under the guise of not being interested. When she heard someone approaching, she’d announce that she was tired and was going home. Haru would leave with her.
Not only that, but Haru had begged Shigure to rescue Yuki from Akito’s clutches. That’s why Yuki is living with Shigure now. And Yuki had no idea. Their kindness, despite Rin’s abrasive demeanor, overwhelmed him.
He was still processing that when Haru arrived. He’d seen the book bag Yuki had dropped and was looking to return it. Yuki was surprised to see him. Rin was terrified, and I soon learned why. I think.
I put it that way because as powerful an impact as the scene had on me, I’m not sure I get it.
Rin was not expecting to see Haru. It takes a lot to rattle her, and boy was she rattled. Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
Delivery: A Resolve-Melting Embrace
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen as powerful a look of longing as Haru gave Rin. He approached her and reached out to touch her face. She recoiled, saying “Don’t touch me” (13:36). Musing that maybe she really didn’t need him anymore, he lowered his hand.
Haru said (13:46), “I see. I don’t care anymore, then. I should just die…”
This is the first thing I don’t understand. How serious was he? Have you ever been near someone who had suicidal or borderline suicidal thoughts? Could you tell the difference between their attempt at a tasteless joke and a real crisis? Because I never could. Everything has to be treated as a crisis. Haru doesn’t seem to exhibit signs of those tendencies. How serious was he?
Because judging from Rin’s expression, she thought he was serious (13:53). His statement cut right through her tough exterior. She was terrified. Seeing her reaction, he stepped forward, pulled her close, and kissed her.
There’s something about Haru that made it through Rin’s defenses. The suggestion that he might kill himself seemed to terrify her. Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
For an instant, she resisted, even trying to pull his hands away. Then she gave up trying to maintain the facade, and she leaned into him.
That’s the second thing I don’t get. Shouldn’t her no have meant no? Did their previous relationship give him an insight that he could act against her apparent will, knowing her heart really did say yes? In a world where there are all too many despicable assertions that “Hey, she really meant yes,” is there room for a moment like this that’s actually tender and warm?
It was a beautiful moment. And its ambiguities just made it more interesting.
What did you think of Tohru’s reaction to her grandfather, just before he fell asleep? What was your Best in Show moment? Let me know in the comments!
Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 14: Other Posts
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Fruits Basket Season 2 – Episode 14 Discussion
- AngryAnimeBitches: Fruits Basket (2019) S2 Episode 14
- RABUJOI: Fruits Basket – 39 (S2 14) – Please Don’t Say Such Things
This Site (Crow’s World of Anime!)
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 1: Hello Again
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 2: Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 3: Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 4: I Got Dumped…
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 5: Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 6: Are you really this stupid?
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 7: Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 8: Dog
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 9: My Precious…
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 10: Who Are You
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 11: All Mine
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 12: You Cried for Me
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 13: Sure Thing
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 14: I Should Just Die…
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 15: See You Later
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 16: Ask Him for Me
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 17: You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 18: Do You Wanna Kiss