Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 24 – Quick Summary
In Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 24, “Here You Are,” Kimi Toudou suggested that the Student Council go out to a fancy restaurant to celebrate their successes. Kakeru Manabe liked the idea. Naohito Sakuragi, did, too, along Yuki Souma. But Machi Kuragi declined outright. Can Yuki understand her perspective well enough to entice her to attend — or would that be a bad idea? Speaking of bad ideas, Yuki decides to spend New Years at the Souma compound — with Akito, among others. Can he get through the evening peacefully? Was that even possible? Finally, Tohru spends New Years with Kyo Souma at Kazuma Souma’s house. There’s another guest present — one who almost costs Tohru here forehead!
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Favorite Quote from Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 24
There’s something just dear about Machi. I’m glad she’s warming up to Yuki. I can’t think of anyone who is more of an expert on dysfunctional families. Well, okay, the Soumas are pretty much all experts… Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
Machi apparently has had a rough way to go. Her mother tried to use her as a pawn in her machinations to obtain financial power. It was bad enough that I wondered if her mom had Souma blood in her veins! The experience left Machi unsure of who she really was. She didn’t even know her own favorite color.
As they met on the street, Yuki surprised her with a a compliment, and she tripped and fell. The contents of her purse scattered. Yuki saw that she’d not only kept the maple leaf he’d given her as a present; she had turned it into a book mark! He expressed delight that she had liked his present. She denied it. They actually argued about it.
Kakeru showed up, noticed the leaf bookmark, and said, “Hang on. Isn’t that the maple leaf Yun-Yun gave you?”
“No!” she cried, embarrassed (10:39). “It could be!”
I guess we now know that Machi is a closet tsundere!
Important Translation Note!
I don’t know anywhere near enough of the Japanese language to know if the translation was right, completely mangled, or something inbetween. Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
I was like, WTF? That seemed like a hundred and eighty degrees to what I expected. Then I came across this Reddit post by caimstongueatoo:
By the way this line was completely mistranslated. He said something like “When will Akito learn his place?”
edit: I saw the page in japanese from the manga, it’s kinda like “When will you realize…?” tldr he wasn’t antagonizing the zodiacs but Akito instead.
Talk about completely changing the meaning! If you can confirm/deny this, I’d love to know — please drop a note in the comments!
Best in Show Moment for Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 24
Here, Tohru unleashed the dreaded pompom. Kyou was defenseless! Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
Setup: Tohru’s Been Generically Nice
You know Tohru. She’s a little clumsy. She’s not always the first to process subtle clues and come up with an answer. But she’s kind to a fault, and she adores her friends.
When it came to Kyou and Yuki, she was always looking out for them in a mother hen sort of way. She’d cook, she’d clean, and she seemed to enjoy taking care of everyone around her. Nothing wrong with that, but it just didn’t seem sustainable. Her emotions were always flowing out. There was appreciation flowing back, but it didn’t seem fair.
You remember the end of the last episode? Her mind shied away from the idea that she might love Kyou and he might love her. But her heart’s already way ahead of her. Her heart knows. In this episode, it decided to push the envelope, just a bit. I think it was an important step, though.
I can feel my blood pressure drop every time I look at her smile. Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
Delivery: Now, Tohru’s Learning to Flirt!
They were in Shigure’s home. Tohru came up to Kyou and, in her all excited voice, said (12:15), “Look at this, Kyo-kun!” He wasn’t really sure what she was talking about, so she spelled it out for him.
In a voice just bursting with innocent pride, she said, “I bought a new scarf! It even has pompoms!”
If I live to be 100 years old, I doubt I’ll ever hear anything so heart-crushingly cute as Tohru Honda saying “pompoms.”
“You’re gonna hit someone when you turn around,” he said, voicing an obvious concern. I mean, this is Tohru we’re talking about.
Saying, “There!”, she spun around and crashed a pompom into his chest. Even Kyou, as grumpy as he can be sometimes, couldn’t stop his grin.
“Oi,” he said.
Even Kyou had to grin at the attack of the pompom. Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
They looked so happy together! That’s the first time I’ve seen her make such a bold move! Well, bold for Tohru. It takes a show of this calibre to elevate a little moment like that to be the perfect union of plot, character, and theme.
And I’m still recovering from the cuteness in Tohru saying “pompom!”
What did you think of Akito’s reaction to Yuki? What was your Best in Show moment? Let me know in the comments!
Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 24: Other Posts
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Fruits Basket Season 2 – Episode 24 discussion
- RABUJOI: Fruits Basket – 49 – Wishing for Change
- AngryAnimeBitches: Fruits Basket (2019) S2 Episode 24
This Site (Crow’s World of Anime!)
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 1: Hello Again
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 2: Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 3: Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 4: I Got Dumped…
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 5: Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 6: Are you really this stupid?
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 7: Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 8: Dog
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 9: My Precious…
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 10: Who Are You
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 11: All Mine
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 12: You Cried for Me
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 13: Sure Thing
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 14: I Should Just Die…
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 15: See You Later
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 16: Ask Him for Me
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 17: You Will, I’m Sure of It
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 18: Do You Wanna Kiss
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 19: There’s Just No Way!
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 20: Are You Okay?
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 21: There Was, Definitely
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 22: That’s Not What I Want
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 23: It’s Cinderella-ish
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 24: Here You Are
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 25: I’m Different Now