Quick Summary • Best Moment • Setup • Delivery • Other Posts
Infinite Stratos Season 1 Episode 11 – Quick Summary
In Infinite Stratos Season 1 episode 11, “Get Ready,” Ichika and Houki prepared for their mission to confront the out-of-control IS unit called the Gospel. Ichika was concerned not only because of the mission, but because Houki seemed too enthusiastic. Her attitude concerned Chifuyu, too, who contacted Ichika on a private channel to encourage him to look out for her. Were Ichika and Chifuyu right? Was Houki over-excited because she had received her own IS unit? Will the mission go smoothly?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Favorite Quote from Infinite Stratos Season 1 Episode 11
Laura was more used to thinking in military terms than the others. Capture from the Blu Ray.
The difference in the young women’s training came through in this episode. Cecilia, Charlotte, and Ren had not been trained for actual combat. At least, that’s the way it seemed, based on their reactions to the aftermath of the mission failure.
The three of them wondered why Chifuyu had not gone to see Ichika, even though he had not regained consciousness. They wondered if not visiting Houki might actually be cruel.
Laura’s training had been quite a bit different. Her training leaned heavily on military tactics. It fell to her to correctly interpret what Chifuyu was really doing.
Saying that Chifuyu was the mission commander, Laura said (11:42), “The Instructor is simply doing what she knows must be done.”
I appreciated how the episode showed Laura as the one who had the best understanding. It was a good fit for her character.
Favorite Moment from Infinite Stratos Season 1 Episode 11
Ren seemed satisfied that Houki had gotten her fire back. Capture from the Blu Ray.
Setup: Yet More Fun with Dub vs. Sub
This week continued to give me examples of why I like this particular dub better than its sub. But there was actually one counter example! I guess you could say it’s the exception that proves the rule.
- Around 3:27, when Houki was acting like having her own unit had intoxicated her:
- Dub: Ichika said, “You seem to be really getting into this. Did a new attitude come with the personal unit?”
- Sub: “You seem to be enjoying yourself. Because you finally have a personal unit?”
- Here’s the counter example. Around 08:50, when Ichika somehow communicated with Houki in a way that stops time:
- Dub: “With great power comes great responsibility.”
- Sub: “To become blind to the weak once you’ve gained power…”
- In this case, I think the sub better captured the scene’s spirit.
Putting aside the question of how they managed to speak in a way that took zero time (and left both of them naked), I preferred the sub’s treatment of this scene. Capture from the Blu Ray.
- Around 18:32, when Ren was trying to talk some sense into Houki:
- Dub: “Puh-thetic. You’re so predictable.”
- Sub: “Ah, how easy to understand.”
- Around 18:45, a little later in the same scene:
- Dub: “So. Enjoying your little self-pity party for one?”
- Sub: “So, this is your ‘feeling blue’ pose?”
- Around 20:32, when the young women were deciding to go against orders and attack the Gospel themselves:
- Dub: “That’s the German Army Special Forces for ya. Those girls kick ass.”
- Sub: “That’s the German Army’s Special Forces for you! Great work.”
Generally speaking, the dub makes the characters feel more distinctive to me. Of course, YMMV!
Delivery: Ren’s Wakeup Call
My favorite scene in this episode was another example of the our heroes deciding to work together. It’s much more of a “tough love” example than the one Charlotte gave us back in episode 9.
I completely understand Houki feeling terrible because she failed. It started when Ichika forcibly drew her attention to the need to not blow up the ship beneath them. And as an aside, I have to wonder if he could have done it a little differently – it just seems like a bad idea to completely destroy your teammate’s confidence in the middle of an operation.
Speaking of destroyed self confidence, Houki took on so much of the blame that she was ready to give up piloting. She burned off energy by sprinting as far as she could on the sand, and she only stopped when she could not run anymore.
Suddenly, Ren was there. A very pissed off Ren. In the previous section, I noted two quotes (one at 18:32 and one at 18:45) that showed Ren had no patience for what she considered to be Houki’s indulgent self-pity.
Losing her patience, Ren grabbed Houki by the lapels and screamed it was time for Houki to get back to work. But Houki wasn’t ready to get back to work. Her confidence had collapsed to the point where she said she was giving up piloting.
Ren was not a fan of Houki’s plan to quit piloting. Capture from the Blu Ray.
So Ren did what any sensitive, supportive friend would do. She slapped Houki. In fact, she slapped her so hard that Houki ended up on the sand. But she came back up saying she was ready to fight.
“Okay, she’s got her fire back now,” Ren said to Charlotte, Cecilia, and Laura, who had been standing nearby (19:43). “Told ya! It takes a pain in the ass to handle one.”
I don’t want to advocate violence. But as a dramatic device, sometimes a firm slap is just what a character needs to get back on track. Though I did make a note not to make Ren mad.
What did you think of Ichika and Houki’s first attempt to bring the Gospel down? What were your favorite moments? Please feel free to share in the comments!
Infinite Stratos Season 1 Episode 11: Other Posts
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: [Rewatch] IS: Infinite Stratos – Episode 11 (Spoilers)
- AngryAnimeBitches Anime Blog: Infinite Stratos 11 + 12 [Final Impressions]
- Lost in Anime: Infinite Stratos – 11
This Site (Crow’s World of Anime!)
- Infinite Stratos Season 1 Episode 1: All of My Classmates Are Female
- Infinite Stratos Season 1 Episode 2: Class Representative Match!
- Infinite Stratos Season 1 Episode 3: The Transfer Student is the Second Childhood Friend
- Infinite Stratos Season 1 Episode 4: Showdown! The Class League Match!
- Infinite Stratos Season 1 Episode 5: Boy Meets Boy
- Infinite Stratos Season 1 Episode 6: My Roommate is a Young, Blonde Nobleman
- Infinite Stratos Season 1 Episode 7: Blue Days, Red Switch
- Infinite Stratos Season 1 Episode 8: Discover My Mind
- Infinite Stratos Season 1 Episode 9: Ocean’s Eleven
- Infinite Stratos Season 1 Episode 10: Thin Red Line
- Infinite Stratos Season 1 Episode 11: Get Ready
- Infinite Stratos Season 1 Episode 12: Your Name Is