Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun Episode 4 Review – Quick Summary
In Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun Episode 4, “There are Times When Men Must Fight”, Mikoto revealed the secret to interacting with women: dating sims. Umetarou Nozaki wasn’t convinced, so Mikoto decided to show him. What they learned shocked them both! Later, a group of friends asked Mikoto to attend a group date. Panicked, Mikoto turned to Umetarou and Chiyo to help him prepare. Was that really a good idea? And why is Umetarou wearing bunny ears?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Favorite Quote from Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun Episode 4
To be fair, from Mikoto’s perspective, the figure was in three dimensions. Capture from the Blu Ray.
Umetarou, Mikoto, and Chiyo were working late. Mikoto asked if he could stay over. To Chiyo, that sounded like a lot of fun, so she asked them what it was like. Mikoto said he’d often ask Umetarou for advice about girls.
As it turned out, girls in a dating sim.
Of course, Umetarou wasn’t any help. He approached the video game like he would have approached writing a manga, which is to say, he over-thought it. So, Mikoto put in the hours on his own. He conquered every route, dated every girl. Until finally, he was ready.
“And then, things went from 2D to 3D,” he said (03:55). Just as a figurine came into frame. Mikoto had graduated from 2D games to 3D figures.
“Aren’t you getting farther away from reality?” Umetarou asked.
Strangely, I didn’t hear an answer from Mikoto.
Best in Show Moment for Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun Episode 4
Chiyo gets an “A” for effort! Capture from the Blu Ray.
This episode was another example of the kind of humor I’ve come to expect in this series. Sorry I’m repeating myself a little (I mentioned this in my review of the previous episode)! The humor springs from either innocent misunderstandings or mutual delusions. My favorite moment starts as one and transitions to the other.
Chiyo came over to visit (apparently, she has her own key – she just walks in whenever!) to find Umetarou wearing bunny ears and standing by the table. He also held a bottle of wine. Mikoto sat at the table, looking very serious.
Chiyo’s “What on Earth is happening?” was completely reasonable in this context! Umetarou, though, didn’t react. He simply asked Chiyo to join them. Before she agreed, she asked – again, quite reasonably – what they were doing. Umetarou’s “Exactly what it looks like” didn’t seem to help much.
“Exactly what it looks like” didn’t help Chiyo very much! Capture from the Blu Ray.
Chiyo stood there for a moment, completely at a loss. Then, seeing Umetarou pour the win, she thought, “Mikorin getting his drinks poured by a creepy bunny…” and her mind raced. I wonder if she would have done that before she’d met Umetarou? Or would she had just run for her life?
In any case, she thought she recognized the scene. She tried to join in their mutual delusion by putting her foot on the table, adopting a belligerent tone, and demanding (15:25), “Your total comes to 300,000 yen.”
“This isn’t some sketchy bar!” Mikoto said.
Chiyo’s expression totally sold her effort. It’s too bad Mikoto couldn’t appreciate it.
What did you think of Umetarou and Mikoto staying up to write what was probably Umetarou’s first BL manga? What were your favorite moments? Feel free to let me know in the comments!
Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun Episode 4: Other Posts
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: [Spoilers] Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun – Episode 4 [Discussion]
- The GlorioBlog: Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun Episode 4
- Lost in Anime: Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun – 04
This Site (Crow’s World of Anime!)
- Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun Episode 1: This Love… Is Being Turned into a Shojo Manga
- Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun Episode 2: Say Hello to the New Heroine
- Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun Episode 3: Violence vs The Prince
- Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun Episode 4: There Are Times When Men Must Fight
- Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun Episode 5: The Man Who Envisions Love
- Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun Episode 6: I’ll Cast a Spell on You
- Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun Episode 7: The Manga Artist’s Brain, Nozaki-kun
- Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun Episode 8: The Prince (Girl) of the School’s Problems
- Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun Episode 9: Do You Have Enough Excitement?
- Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun Episode 10: What’s Strengthened is Our Bond and Our Reins
- Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun Episode 11: Let’s Rice
- Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun Episode 12: If This Feeling Isn’t Love, Then There is No Love in the World