My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 104 Review – Quick Summary
In My Hero Academia Season 5 episode 104, “Long Time No See, Selkie,” Enji Todoroki/Endeavor wasn’t the only professional hero working his students hard. Ryuko Tatsuma/Dragonair also worked Ochako Uraraka/Uravity, Nejire Hadou/Nejire Chan, and Tsuyu Asui/Froppy hard, too! Why, she even let Ochako model her new uniform and served snacks! Okay, at first glance, there seemed to be very different training programs between Endeavor and Dragonair, but that changed when Selkie called for backup. Villains had stolen the drugs to make Trigger, a dangerous compound that artificially increased a Quirk’s power. Selkie needed help to track down the ship that had hidden in a complex series of islands. Can they find the villains in time to stop them distributing the illegal drugs?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Favorite Quote from My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 104
Sometimes I wonder if it would just be better to play along? Especially with something as subjective as the idea of “cute?” Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
This episode had a running gag that made me laugh. Selkie is a huge man whose Quirk is Spotted Seal. If you ask me that’s a really specific Quirk, and I have no idea how a Quirk would select an anime and transfer its abilities to a human, but there it is. He’s not even the only one. Ryuko’s Quirk is Dragon, and it’s a mythical beast!
Anyway, the running gag was this huge hulking man tried to make cutesy statements so his crew and anyone else in the audience would laugh. Sirius didn’t want to make Selkie feel bad, so she played along. And I have to say that it was nice seeing someone wear a sailor’s uniform outside of a school setting!
But Ryuko wasn’t in the least bit amused. Three separate times, she told Selkie that he wasn’t cute. There was some dissent. Ochako thought one of his jokes was cute, and Tsuyu thought another was funny. Selkie delivered his last joke to Ryuko alone, and when she pointed out she didn’t think it was cute, he sighed.
“Yeah, I’ve come to realize that recently,” he said (21:11). It reminded me of a dad who told endless “dad jokes,” only to find out they weren’t really that funny. His statement made me laugh, just a little. But it also made me feel a little sad. That’s pretty good work for a single quote!
Best in Show Moment for My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 104
Ochako had a plan for when she boarded the plan. That’s progress! Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
Setup: I’m Going to Celebrate This, But…
So, I’ve read the Reddit comments about this episode (see Other Anime Sites, below). Apparently, I should count my lucky stars that I’m not a manga reader. The main reason seems to be that whatever’s coming next is going to be stunningly amazing. Any delay provokes frustration. As an anime-only viewer, I really can’t comment on that. But I do have to wonder: Do I need to be reminded that while Izuku Midoriya/Deku, Katsuki Bakugou/Great Explosion Murder God Dynamight, and Shouto Todoroki/Shouto are training their brains out, Ochako, Nejire, and Tsuyu are eating snacks and playing on the beach?
Yes, they saw some action in this episode, which actually contains my favorite moment. But first they had to play on the beach. Endeavor analyzed the strengths and weaknesses of his students and produced customized training session on the spot. Ryuko served tasty snacks.
Look, I like High School of the Dead. Beauty appeals to me. Beauty can even be a field of study! But could I please get a few episodes where these young women get to shine as heroes? Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
That’s probably not fair. Ryuko may have done a lot more than that, but guess what? We didn’t get to see it. People complain about the level of fan service in High School of the Dead, but I noticed something. When it comes to putting zombies permanently in the grave, Rei Miyamoto and Saeko Busujima were absolutely without peer. Sure, I saw Rei’s panties almost as much as I saw Takashi Komuro’s shirt in the first episode. But that series never once diminished the contribution from those women. They didn’t have to settle for second class status when it came to combat capabilities. They fought fight besides and sometimes in front of Takashi and Kouta Hirano. And that’s why that series remains one of my favorites.
Oh. I didn’t mention the soapbox, did I? Sorry about that. I’ll shove it back under my desk now.
Delivery: Ochako Ups Her Game
I’m going to make a leap of faith on this one. Ochako, back in episode 98, tried to stop Midoriya from going out of control. She partially succeeded, but she needed to ask Hitoshi Shinsou for help. It was a really cool moment; my favorite in that episode! But I didn’t see why that motivated her in this episode, except beyond the general she wanted to do better. When Nejire asked about it, Ochako seemed embarrassed. But, for the sake of this moment, let’s just accept that she wanted to do better.
The villains had been towing something behind their ship, and everyone (including me!) assumed it was the cargo. Nope! It was a plane containing the cargo! It had twin propellers, and it apparently flew more quickly than Ryuko could fly. I won’t comment on that.
Sirius and Ochako responded quickly. Leveraging Ochako’s gravity Quirk, Sirius fired the harpoon canon (which I thought was a fixture on a whaling ship), and Ochako hung on, weightless, to gain velocity. Using her new grappling hooks, she attached herself to the plane.
There’s no doubt Ochako has some skills. I’d like to see more of them! Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
“I’ll think it through,” she said (17:30), “and help properly.” Apparently, she thought that had been her failure with Midoriya back in episode 98. She boarded the plane and knocked the villain pilot unconscious. Of course, she still had to fly the plane, and she had no idea how to do that. But she’d thought through how she could board the plan and disable the villain. That’s progress!
What did you think of Selkie’s sense of humor? What were your favorite things in this episode? Let me know in the comments!
My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 104: Other Posts
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Boku no Hero Academia Season 5 – Episode 16 discussion
- OtakuMai: My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 16 Reaction | Beach episode??
This Site (Crow’s World of Anime!)
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 89: All Hands on Deck! Class 1-A
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 90: Vestiges
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 91: Clash! Class A vs. Class B!
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 92: Make It Happen, Shinso!
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 93: Operation New Improv Moves
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 94: Foresight
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 95: Match 3
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 96: Match 3 Conclusion
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 97: Early Bird!
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 98: That Which Is Inherited
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 99: Our Brawl
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 100: The New Power and All for One
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 101: Have a Merry Christmas!
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 102: Off to Endeavor’s Agency!
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 103: One Thing at a Time
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 104: Long Time No See, Selkie
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 105: The Hellish Todoroki Family
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 106: The Unforgiven
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 107: More of a Hero Than Anyone
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 108: My Villain Academia
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 109: Revival Party
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 110: Sad Man’s Parade
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 111: Tenko Shimura: Origin
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 112: Tomura Shigaraki: Origin
- My Hero Academia Season 5 Episode 113: The High, Deep Blue Sky