In Record of Grancrest War Episode 16, “Outpost,” Theo Cornaro and Siluca Meletes lure Mirza Kooches into the Forest of Eternal Darkness, and things seem to be going their way. Then, the unthinkable happens: Mirza listens to his mage’s advice! Meanwhile, Ulrica pushes her assault on Edokia Kalaha’s Haman, who had been able to buy peace — until their coffers ran dry. Edokia’s mage, Laura Hardley, suggests a strategy that lays everything on the line. Will the Queen embrace such a naked ploy? And if she does, will it be enough to stop the vicious Ulrica?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
What’s In This Post
Interested in the previous cour’s OP?
3 Favorite Moments
- I really enjoy how Theo and Siluca’s relationship has developed. In this episode, we get to see how they rely on each other to dissect their enemy’s plans and craft a response (6:56). From a narrative perspective, their relationship as Lord and Mage is a huge contrast to Mirza and his mage, Telius Savoie. The former trust and look out for each other; the latter, well, even in this episode, Mirza nearly beheaded his mage. For me, couple of other things stood out in this scene. First was how Theo was crestfallen that he was going to have to lead yet more civilians into battle (this time from Altirk), just like he did in Sistina. Sure, his crest seems to grant them capabilities above their training, but many of them still died, and that seems to haunt him. I’m glad to see he’s not indifferent to their plight. Second was how Siluca responded to his gloom: she put her hand on the small of his back and said, “Sir Theo, I believe that you can hear the people’s silence voices.” I thought that was a touching way to sum up an aspect of his crest’s power. Sure, he’s benefited from its use, but so have the people who supported him. The power was mutually beneficial. Too bad more of the crests don’t work that way…
Yes, I’m serious that I thought Laura’s advice to Edokia was perfect! Edokia’s well known for having embraced her sexuality, and her people still love and support her. So, the advice made perfect sense. And no, I didn’t choose this moment so I could get fanservice-oriented screen captures! That’s completely coincidental…
That being said, I do have an objection to the ending, but first let me point out that Edokia’s speech to her people was spot on. She and Laura stood before them in simple robes, and in her most imperial voice and bearing, Edokia explained how the Nords had taken all of their money — and now, even the clothes off their backs. The only thing left were their lives and territory, she told her people, particularly her soldiers. She announced that to protect those lives and land, she’ll gladly give her own life, and she threw off her clothes as a symbol of her resolve. In support of her Queen, the normally shy Laura did the same.
The effect was instantaneous. Not only her soldiers, but her Lords as well, responded enthusiastically. It wasn’t a lewd moment at all. They responded to her adamant resolve to protect them and their country. She used her body as a way to express her resolve, and given her character, I thought this was perfect. How much authority does someone have to have to exert it even in the nude? Most of her soldiers and even the Lords stripped in sympathy with her.
To be honest, yes, my morale would have improved in that moment. Quite a lot, actually. I would not hesitate to follow her into battle — or to precede her, which would likely be best for all involved. However, I would have left my armor on. And that brings me to the objection I mentioned earlier.
The Haman army met the Nords at the docks. And the Haman army wore only their shorts. One of them even had a little bow on their briefs. They faced an axe-wielding enemy known for their hand to hand ferocity, wearing only underwear. Oh, and a few of them had helmets. They were perfectly arranged in their formation. But they were mostly naked.
I’m not saying that made episode fell apart for me. Edokia gave a great speech in front of the enemy, and helped by Juzel Rossini’s fantastic work preparing the slaves from Starck to revolt, the eventual victory made sense. But I’m struggling to accept how an army would think going into battle in underwear was a good idea! If Juzel hadn’t been there, or if Ulrica’s forces had simply attacked, the poor soldiers would have been at a significant disadvantage!
Being inspired by Edokia’s courageous display of nudity makes perfect sense! Facing an enemy with a display of nudity?
That makes less sense.
What do you think? What were your favorite moments? Let me know in the comments!
Other Posts of Interest
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit Discussion of Grancrest Senki Episode 16
- I Drink and Watch Anime: A Record of Grancrest War Ep 16 – Empowering
- The Anime Rambler – By Benigmatica: Record of Grancrest War Episode #16
- Weeabros: In Defense of Nude Rebellion
This Site (Crow’s World of Anime!)
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 1: Contract
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 2: Ambition
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 3: Battle Flag
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 4: Decision
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 5: Forest of Eternal Darkness
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 6: March
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 7: The White Prince
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 8: The Congress Dances
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 9: The Black Princess
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 10: Blade of Betrayal
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 11: The Fall of Castle Unicorn
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 11.5: Reminiscence
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 12: A Treaty Formed
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 13: To the Homeland
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 14: The Liberator of Sistina
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 15: Return
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 17: Two Heroes
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 18: Leader
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 19: The Awakening of a Noble
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 20: Pitched Battle of the Three Forces
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 21: Purge
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 22: The Holy Grail
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 23: Castle Walls
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 24: Grancrest
- Record of Grancrest War: Pandora’s Warning