Quick Summary of Record of Grancrest War Episode 5
In Record of Grancrest War Episode 5, “Forest of Eternal Darkness,” Lord Dmitrie the Vampire King no longer wishes to fight the Chaos. That’s a decision that Clara, the Queen of Werewolves, can’t accept, but the problem is, she doesn’t have a Black Witch on her side, and the Black Witch Yana wants blood. Clara’s blood. After hearing of this conflict, who does Villar Constance send to find out what’s really going on? If you guessed Theo Cornaro and his entire entourage (which is to say, just Siluca Meletes), you’re right! What can Theo and Siluca do in the face of such ancient powers? And how’d Theo end up with twin werewolf maids?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
What’s In This Post
Interested in the OP?
3 Favorite Moments in Record of Grancrest War Episode 5
Moment One from Record of Grancrest War Episode 5: Siluca Projects Force
I like little character details, and I think I see a trend of these emerging from Siluca. She’s powerful and has a command of a variety of disciplines. She’s intelligent and quick-witted. Siluca is also ambitious enough to see the merit in a decidedly rough diamond like Theo. But she’s not at all above using her looks or moe factor to project force. In this episode, Lord Milza Kuces berates Theo for giving up so much, apparently just so he could stay with Siluca (6:20).
Theo bristled, but what does Siluca do? She smiles sweetly, shrugs every so slightly, and makes a cute little noise. In doing so, she defused the situation without giving away anything about her capabilities. She also manages not to embarrass her host. For a split second, I almost wondered if she were a Bene Gesserit who had learned how to perfect their techniques to use the “seductive wiles of a courtesan with the untouchable majesty of a virgin goddess.”
Moment Two from Record of Grancrest War Episode 5: Dmitrie’s Honesty
Dmitrie knows that if the Lords’ Crests unite into the Emperor’s Crest, Chaos will be destroyed, and his power will be gone. That means he dies. He comes out and says that his motivation for what he’s done, and what he’s about to do, is that he just doesn’t want to die (14:32). I have to saw that’s a pretty basic and understandable reason! Siluca goes on to suggest that he was the one to cause the disaster that started the series (14:37). Though he doesn’t come out and admit it, I get a sense she was right. So now, five episodes in, we meet a character who might be an interesting main villain with a sensible motivation. Sometimes, simple is best!
Moment Three from Record of Grancrest War Episode 5: Emma and Luna Join the Party
I am irrationally delighted that Emma and Luna, the werewolf twins, are now maids serving in Theo’s household (21:31). It’s not that I have a thing for maids, per se. I just really enjoy twists on the trope. When I saw that twin werewolf sisters are joining the cast, it reminded me of Overlord’s Pleiades Battle Maids. Their raw power and supreme arrogance really appealed to me. I think Emma and Luna are going to bring a more playful dimension to the role, but I expect them to be every bit as ferocious as the Pleiades. After all, they didn’t hesitate to stand up to Yana, and they already knew there were overmatched!
Thoughts about Record of Grancrest War Episode 5
When we heard about the Forest of Eternal Darkness, was I the only one who wondered it it was inhabited by Rodents of Unusual Size?
And didn’t Theo promise Clara that he’d take Emma and Luna out of the forest? But isn’t his new residence in the forest? And Aren’t they maids in that residence? Hmmm…
After that mad dash that was last week’s episode, this episode’s pace felt a lot less frenetic. I think I finally understand what the writers were trying to do with the first four episodes, and I’m relieved they didn’t maintain the trajectory of episodes 1 through 3 into the future. Why?
The first three episodes introduced us in particular to Siluca and Theo. We got to see how ambitious she is; we got to see her indulge in the over-confidence of a talented young adult. We also got to see that she can learn from her mistakes, and that in the process, she didn’t seem to lose the essential core of who she was. I admire those traits.
Theo showed us that he’s a naturally capable leader. He knows how to instill a sense of loyalty in part by demonstrating loyalty. We also learned his main motivation, which was to save his people from a harsh and unfair Lord. That’s a hero I can root for.
And the trajectory? I’m glad for what happened in the last episode, though it was certainly tough on our heroes. I’m glad because the two were amassing so many successes so quickly that it just wouldn’t be realistic for that trend to continue. A combination of beginner’s luck and fortunate circumstance easily explained their first successes. Extending that streak would drain the dramatic energy in proportion to how long the winning went on. Their setbacks in the previous episode were necessary to keep things interesting.
Now we know our heroes’ motivations. We know their capabilities. And we get to see them bounce back from a significant set back. That’s good stuff! That’s making the series interesting to me! Between a solid villain and the addition of twin werewolf fighting maids, I think I’m set for the rest of the series!
Now, if the writers just learn a little pacing restraint…
What were your favorite moments in this episode? Let me know in the comments!
Other Posts of Interest about Record of Grancrest War Episode 5
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit discussion of Grancrest Senki Episode 5
- Random Curiosity: Grancrest Senki 05
- 100 Word Anime: Record of Grancrest War Episode 5: Did You Know There Were Vampires? I Sure Didn’t
This Site (Crow’s World of Anime!)
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 1: Contract
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 2: Ambition
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 3: Battle Flag
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 4: Decision
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 6: March
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 7: The White Prince
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 8: The Congress Dances
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 9: The Black Princess
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 10: Blade of Betrayal
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 11: The Fall of Castle Unicorn
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 11.5: Reminiscence
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 12: A Treaty Formed
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 13: To the Homeland
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 14: The Liberator of Sistina
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 15: Return
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 16: Outpost
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 17: Two Heroes
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 18: Leader
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 19: The Awakening of a Noble
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 20: Pitched Battle of the Three Forces
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 21: Purge
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 22: The Holy Grail
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 23: Castle Walls
- Record of Grancrest War Episode 24: Grancrest
- Record of Grancrest War: Pandora’s Warning