In Astra Lost in Space episode 01, "Planet Camp," Aries Spring is super excited to go on a field trip, which means she gets to go to another planet with several other students. A thief tries to steal her purse, but quick thinking by Kanata Hoshijima almost saves the day -- until the automated police think he committed assault instead of stopping a robbery! Fortunately, by launch time, all is sorted, and they depart. The ship drops them off on the planet, and things are going well when a large ball of energy approaches them. Thinking it's just part of the experience, Luca Esposito approaches it -- only to be sucked in and disappear. Kanata tells everyone to engage their helmets and run, but the thing is too fast. The globe absorbs all of them, one by one. The next thing Kanata knows, he's spinning in space. There's a planet nearby. His suit has limited resources. Can he find shelter in orbit? Can he find his classmates? And just what the heck was the globe of energy?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Best Moment in the Show
A single moment of decision can save -- or lose -- lives. Capture from the Hulu stream.
The students were on the verge of panic, but between Zack Walker's cool analysis and Katana's willingness to take charge, they were able to keep their wits about them. They gathered the luggage that was nearby and they were all able to use their suits' jets to make it to a ship. Well, almost all of them. We learned in a flashback that Kanata had experience working through an actual wilderness emergency, and he seemed to have his priorities straight. One of the first things he did was ask if they were all present.
One of them was missing (25:38).
Ulgar Zweig managed to catch sight of Aries, looking tiny because she was so far away from the ship. She tumbled out of control. Her communications device was broken or off-line, so she couldn't hear them. She was so far away that they were afraid that they didn't have enough fuel left in their maneuvering jets to get to her and get back. Once again, panic threatened to overwhelm them -- even Kanata.
He fought to remember what his Sensei had told him: "When things seem hopeless, act tough!"
It's not that acting tough helped directly. It's that it gave him a focus, which helped him get his thoughts moving again. Panic paralyzes; having an objective helps. Once he found his resolve, he looked around the airlock and found a winch (26:58). Seeing that was enough for him to formulate a plan. If he had given into panic, Aries would have died of asphyxiation and cold, in space, all alone.
I loved how this episode dramatized how important that single moment of decision was!
Other Posts about This Series
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Kanata no Astra - Episode 1 discussion
- Anime Feminist: [Review] Astra Lost in Space – Episode 1
- AllYourAnime.Net: ASTRA LOST IN SPACE – ANIME PREVIEW
This Site (Crow's World of Anime!)
- Review: Astra Lost In Space Episode 01 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost In Space Episode 02 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost In Space Episode 03 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost In Space Episode 04 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 05 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 06 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 07 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 08 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 09 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 10 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 11 – Best In Show