In Astra Lost in Space episode 02, “Wilderness,” Kanata Hoshijima, Aries Spring, and the rest of the crew set down on the planet Vilavurs to restock their food and water supplies. At first, all seems well — even the “dragons” didn’t seem interested in eating humans. But then Quitterie Raffaeli got into an argument over Kanata’s fitness for command, and one things led to another until Funicia Raffaeli ended up in harms way — as a potential snack for one of the “dragons.” Can Kanata and the crew save her? Or will they, too, become “dragon” food?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Best Moment in the Show
There’s no question Kanata is brave. But I think it’s going to take the whole crew’s efforts to keep hi alive! Capture from the Hulu stream.
This episode showed some plotting skill — almost everything we needed to know about the climax was carefully prepared throughout! I appreciate that in a show, especially when what seemed like a random throw-away joke turns into something important.
Early in the episode, when the team Kanata had selected to forage for food was goofing off, Quitterie kept trying to pick plants that looked edible (whatever that meant in the context of Vilavurs!). When she pulled down on what looked like the red fruit, it exploded upward (5:53) — taking her with it. Fortunately, it also acted like a parachute, so it brought her safely back to the ground.
Later, that turned out to be the key that saved Kanata’s life.
After an argument where Quitterie stormed out of the ship, the crew went looking for her. Funicia took a break and played on top of one of the flat trees that acted like a trampoline. Unfortunately, he grew upwards and exposed her to the “dragons.” Everyone froze until Kanata started jumping from the cliff to one tree, then another, until he got closer to Funicia.
Quitterie has great aim! She also showed more sense early in the episode than most of the rest of the crew! Capture from the Hulu stream.
Seeing he was exhausted, knowing he would likely not make the last jump, Quitterie ran off. Sure enough, after killing the “dragon” with the spear Luca Esposito had forgotten (pretty good setup, actually!), he tried to make the last jump.
The good news is that he made it.
The bad news is that he lost his balance and started to fall over the edge. That’s when Quitterie aimed one of the parachute plants at him and fired. He was able to catch it to save himself.
I haven’t worked the models, so I don’t know if what happened as likely from the perspective of physics. But dang, it really looked good.
What did you think of that moment? What was your favorite? Let me know in the comments!
Other Posts about This Series
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Kanata no Astra – Episode 2 discussion
- 100 Word Anime: Kanata no Astra Review Episodes 1 and 2
- Anime Evo: Kanata no Astra – 02
This Site (Crow's World of Anime!)
- Review: Astra Lost In Space Episode 01 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost In Space Episode 02 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost In Space Episode 03 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost In Space Episode 04 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 05 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 06 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 07 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 08 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 09 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 10 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 11 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 12 – Best In Show