In Astra Lost in Space episode 05, “Paradise,” everyone in the crew thanked Yun-hua Lu for helping them survive until Kanata Hoshijima had gotten back with the antidote. She was almost overwhelmed, and it didn’t help that Quitterie Raffaeli called her “mega cute!” But she celebrated her newfound confidence by asking Luca Esposito to give her a haircut, which went over really well. They landed on a new planet to re-supply, and while they’re there, their parents back home met to discuss — calling off the search? Why was Emma Spring, mother of Aries Spring, the only one advocating to continue the search? Why was Luca’s father, a senator, not at the meeting? And why did Ulgar Zweig react so strongly when he learned that Luca’s father is a senator?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Best Moment in the Show
Quitterie, of all of the crew, would be the one to be most aware of how ridiculous a beach episode is. Even if it’s in retrospect! Capture from the Hulu stream.
Quitterie’s attitude is really growing on me. They land on planet Arispade on a little island that’s basically as tropical and comfortable and beautiful as anything they could find in Hawaii. Wearing an attractive white bikini, she reclined on a beach chair and soaked in the rays (10:27).
A little off shore, Kanata and Zach Walker competed to see who could spear the largest fish — or that planet’s equivalent of a fish. She chatted with Luca about how he had made the spears for them, based on the Luca Javelin they’d found a couple of planets ago. Ulgar brought some of the fowl he’d shot with Luca’s bow and arrow.
All the while, she’s wearing this serious, nonplussed expression, like she was at home going to the grocery store or something. After declaring the fruit edible, Charce prepares them and gives a grape-like example to Quitterie. Reclining in the beach chair, she samples it and is amazed at how delicious it is.
She might as well have been thumping a cantaloupe at a local supermarket. Capture from the Hulu stream.
She pauses, then freaks out.
“What’s with all this peace?!” she demands (11:43), realizing this was just too normal. She experiences a mini-meltdown where she declares she could just relax her the rest of her life and not worry about going home.
Of course, she recovered, but I thought it was a great character moment. They’re trying to get home; they’re literally lost in space; but here they are, living out a beach episode, when they should have been living in fear of death from a hundred different angles.
It also showed a delightful level of self-awareness for the show.
What did you think of Quitterie’s outburst? What was your Best in Show moment? Let me know in the comments!
Other Posts about This Series
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Kanata no Astra – Episode 5 Discussion
- 100 Word Anime: Kanata no Astra Review Episodes 5
- Anime Evo: Kanata no Astra – 05
This Site (Crow's World of Anime!)
- Review: Astra Lost In Space Episode 01 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost In Space Episode 02 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost In Space Episode 03 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost In Space Episode 04 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 05 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 06 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 07 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 08 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 09 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 10 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 11 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 12 – Best In Show