In Astra Lost in Space episode 12, “Friend-Ship,” Charce Lecroix is ready to be locked up for what he did to the crew, but Kanata Hoshijima won’t hear of it. The crew follows his lead, so Charce tries to brief them about what he knows of their history — their real history — and he knows quite a lot. It helps Kanata and the crew plan how they’ll approach their homecoming. They decide to trust Aries Spring’s mom and a police officer who had helped Ulgar Zweig’s brother. Can those two people prepare for their return in a way that won’t expose them to danger from their originals? If they can’t, does Kanata’s crew of any hope of surviving their homecoming — much less thriving? Or will things work out?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Best Moment in the Show
Aries was touched that Kanata wanted to hold her hand as they faced the unknown intentions of the five ships greeting them. Capture from the Hulu stream.
Kanata’s made a reputation for himself as being utterly, totally, and completely clueless when it comes to understanding how Aries feels about him. At one point in this episode, he accidentally gives her quite a nice compliment (18:55), prompting the rest of the crew to give him a good ribbing. He still doesn’t quite get it.
Later, though, he proves the issue isn’t that he doesn’t return her feelings. He’s just clueless about recognizing how she feels about him. In fact, with a simple gesture, he clearly shows her that he does, in fact, care for her.
The whole crew understand that Kanata had just complimented Aries. Well, except for Kanata. Capture from the Hulu stream.
After carefully crafting and sending a message to Aries’ mother Emma, they drop out of hyperspace near Astra. The crew is in the conference room, and they’re talking about what’s next. The proximity alarm sounds because ships are closing in on them. Everyone files out. Aries clutches her arms to her chest; she’s clearly anxious about the situation. Suddenly, she stops because Kanata has come to a halt. She looks down to see him holding his only hand out to her (22:26). Blushing, she takes in hers. Hand in hand, they faced the view screen and the image of the five ships approaching them.
Kanata might sometimes struggle with emotions, but when it came to the most important moment of their mission, he wanted Aries beside him. I think she appreciated that.
What did you think of their homecoming? What was your best in show moment? Let me know in the comments!
Other Posts about This Series
Other Anime Sites
This Site (Crow's World of Anime!)
- Review: Astra Lost In Space Episode 01 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost In Space Episode 02 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost In Space Episode 03 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost In Space Episode 04 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 05 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 06 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 07 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 08 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 09 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 10 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 11 – Best In Show
- Review: Astra Lost in Space Episode 12 – Best In Show