In Fairy gone episode 20, “Forest of Beginnings,” Free Underbar and Marlya Noel led the raid on the Ministry of Fairies, but they were too late. The Minister and his trusted lieutenants had already escaped. Free, Marlya, and the rest of Dorothea had to rely on good old fashioned detective work to find their next lead. Their path took them to one of the old Suna Guardians, who’s moved to tears when he sees that Marlya is still alive. But what he had to tell them changes everything — including who they can trust. Can Marlya bear what he has to say? Will Free stay by her side? And what is Wolfram Row up to, anyway?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Best Moment in the Show
The blast nearly killed him, but Free was thinking clearly. He knew where he belonged and what he was willing to do to protect the people like Marlya who were important to him. Capture from the Funimation stream.
Dorothea’s raid on the Ministry of Fairies was well orchestrated and executed. Nein Auler, as their director, was on site overseeing the raid, but she stayed well away from the front line — standing by until they really needed her. She had a fairy weapon, after all. Meanwhile, Free and Marlya headed for the office of the Minister of Fairies, Marco Bellwood.
When they burst into his office, they saw only a single robed and hooded man standing in front of the desk. It became immediately apparent that he was a religious zealot who was not only willing to die to protect Marco. He wanted to die to protect him. He lit the match to ignite the multiple bombs around his person.
Free unleashed his fairy, and its strike nearly prevented disaster. The the match managed to light fuse. Realizing what was about to happen, Free did two things.
First, he ordered his fairy to grab the bombs and leap out the window. Glass shattered after it grabbed the bombs and leaped outward.
Seriously, what is it about religious fanatics? How did we evolve this way? You’d think that line would have died out, they’re so willing to blow themselves up… Capture from the Funimation stream.
Second, he threw his arms around Marlya and knocked her to the floor. The move saved her life.
When she basically asked him what he thought he was doing (01:15), he laughed weakly and said, “It’s not so bad… Risking your life to protect someone.”
Trying to get his breath (he felt the explosion through his fairy), he explained he needed to prove he wasn’t just a weapon or a killing tool. He, too, belonged in Dorothea.
I’ve enjoyed watching him confront and overcome his past. He’s much more confident now, and I think he and Marlya are great partners. Though I love a good romance, I’m glad that’s not how their relationship has developed. They’re too good as comrades. Besides, I think Marlya and Veronica Thorn are this show’s perfect couple. And I think Marlya might agree with me!
What did you think of their trip to Suna? What was your Best in Show moment? Let me know in the comments!
Other Posts about This Series
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Fairy Gone Season 2 – Episode 8 discussion
- Believe in Geek: FAIRY GONE 2 : FOREST OF BEGINNING
This Site (Crow’s World of Anime!)
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 1: Ash Covered Girl
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 2: Wolf Collar and Swan Feathers
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 4: Impatient Housekeeper and Selfish Artist
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 5: Black Moon and Lost Child’s Song
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 6: Fellow Traveler
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 7: Stubborn Blacksmith and Biased Rabbit
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 8: Pipe Blowing in Stage Wing
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 9: Rolling Stones and Seven Knights
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 10: Cursed Child
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 11: Uninvited Music Corps
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 12: Powerless Soldier
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 13: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 14: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 15: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 16: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 17: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 18: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 19: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 20: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 21: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 22: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 23: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 24: Best in Show