In Fairy gone episode 22,”Parade of Demise,” interim Prime Minister Ray Dawn insisted on holding the late Prime Minister’s funeral, despite the assassin still roaming free — and despite Dorothea’s misgivings. Nein Auler took command of Dawn’s motorcade, with Free Underbar riding motorcycle escort and Marlya Noel sitting in one of the cars. Dorothea’s worst fears came to pass as the Eins Order launched a direct attack on the interim Prime Minister. How can the small number of loyal Dorothea agents, as combat-hardened as they’ve become, stand against such numbers and reckless hatred? And can they evade the Eins order and Veronica Thorn, who’s now armed with a fairy weapon?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Best Moment in the Show
It took us 22 episodes of blood and death to get to this moment. And you know what? It was worth it. Capture from the Funimation stream.
It’s going to be hard to disentangle my Best in Show moment from the resolution of one of the driving conflicts in the whole series, but I’m going to give it a shot. It’s a great moment, and it’s one those of us who are invested in Marlya and Veronica’s relationship have awaited for a long, long time.
After a long-fought battle, only Marlya was left guarding Ray Dawn in a Dorothea safe house. Robert Chase had been with them, but he left to get reinforcements and a doctor. Ray Dawn had been seriously injured.
Veronica tracked them down, and one thing led to another until Ray Dawn had dived through the window to try to escape. Veronica and Marlya followed, the Dorothea agent still trying to convince the two to stand down. This is where it gets hard to separate the moments.
Marlya basically tricked Ray Dawn into admitting he felt terrible remorse over what he’d done to Suna village. Marlya said that’s why he hadn’t killed Veronica before now. He’d had her imprisoned, only to release her. Veronica scoffed, saying he’d just felt sorry for her as a little girl.
“That’s not it,” Marlya said (17:08). “Isn’t it… because you’re regretful?”
Keeping these two from killing each other long enough to get her point across might have been the toughest fight Marlya has faced so far! Capture from the Funimation stream.
Between Marlya hammering away at Veronica that vengeance would solve nothing, and Ray Dawn’s shattered expression, Veronica paused. Marlya saw her chance and delivered the rhetorical coup de grâce. She couldn’t forgive him for what he’d done at Suna, “But… But you didn’t kill Ver. That’s why I got to see her this way. For that, I’m grateful.”
Gratitude destroyed his last strength. He judged himself so harshly that Veronica lowered her weapons. That was exactly what Marlya had been waiting for. Me, too!
Veronica felt completely lost without her drive for vengeance. Marlya was right there was kind and loving words of encouragement. You could almost see years of pain and turmoil melt from Veronica’s face. The transformation was breath-taking. Marlya held her profound tenderness.
Whatever else we can say about Fairy gone, it gave us this moment. As far as I’m concerned, it was worth watching the previous 21 episodes to get to here.
Now, if Marlya and Veronica can just survive the coming cataclysm…
Other Posts about This Series
Other Anime Sites
This Site (Crow’s World of Anime!)
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 1: Ash Covered Girl
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 2: Wolf Collar and Swan Feathers
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 4: Impatient Housekeeper and Selfish Artist
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 5: Black Moon and Lost Child’s Song
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 6: Fellow Traveler
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 7: Stubborn Blacksmith and Biased Rabbit
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 8: Pipe Blowing in Stage Wing
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 9: Rolling Stones and Seven Knights
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 10: Cursed Child
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 11: Uninvited Music Corps
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 12: Powerless Soldier
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 13: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 14: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 15: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 16: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 17: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 18: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 19: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 20: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 21: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 22: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 23: Best in Show
- Review of Fairy gone Episode 24: Best in Show