In Fruits Basket episode 10, "It's Valentine's, After All," the day opens with Kyou Souma acting subdued. Saki Hanajima's wave analysis confirmed it. Tooru Honda, being Tooru, wants to get to the bottom of the mystery, but she doesn't have to sleuth long before she sees Kagura Souma waiting for Kyou after school. One mystery solved! Can Kagura convince Kyou to go on a date with her? Will Shigure Souma's idea of the two going on a double date with Tooru and Yuki Souma (along with Tooru's enthusiastic endorsement) help? And just why is Shigure so interested in them going out, anyway?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Best Moment in the Show
I always suspected he had a darker side. We got a frightening glimpse into his resolve in this episode. Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
I am so tempted to pick one of Saki's moments (and, as usual, there were several), but I'm going to force myself to diversify.
In this episode, Shigure was being even more Shigure than usual. He pried into Kyou's business so obviously that even Shigure wondered if he'd gone too far. He ditched his editor (even if just for a few hours) and pushed her to almost harm herself. The show seemed to play that moment for laughs, but I had to wonder: was it really making a serious and ominous point about Shigure? As in, how much was he willing to inflict on others to have his way?
Hatori Souma seems to wonder the same thing. Shigure visited and presented Tooru's Valentine's day chocolates as if they were his own (Hatori saw through that lie in a hurry). Shigure proceeded to brag about how he'd convinced Kyou, Kagura, Yuki, and Tooru to go on a double date. He added that it had to be Tooru's influence that allowed such a thing to happen.
"You certainly look satisfied," Hatori said (16:12). "Things are going just how you planned them..." Then he got even more serious and said, "Like hell you're 'not using' her, you bald-faced liar. You and Akito are both using Honda-kun as a pawn to play for your respective ends and gains."
Two things stood out about what happened next. First, Shigure spoke of a moment in their past when they all shared some dream; but of all of them, only he still clung to it. Desperately. Second, he not only didn't deny what Hatori said. He confirmed it by saying (17:19), "I'm not bothered about deceiving or using a few people to get it. Even if it ends up hurting someone."
Even more shocking -- Hatori said he wouldn't oppose him! He wouldn't support him, either, but just what is Shigure's goal? It's something he's willing to hurt Tooru to obtain (and that alone might be enough to condemn him!) -- and it's something important enough that Hatori, who really likes Tooru, is willing to stand aside and let it happen.
What is it with the Shouma family?
Other Posts about This Series
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Fruits Basket - Episode 10 discussion
- The Otaku Author: Fruits Basket (Episode 10) – It’s Valentine’s, After All'
- AngryAnimeBitches: Fruits Basket (2019) – Episode 10
This Site (Crow's World of Anime!)
- Review: Fruits Basket Episode 01 - Best In Show!
- Review: Fruits Basket Episode 02 - Best in Show!
- Review: Fruits Basket Episode 03 - Best in Show!
- Review: Fruits Basket Episode 04 - Best in Show!
- Review: Fruits Basket Episode 05 - Best in Show!
- Review: Fruits Basket Episode 06 - Best in Show!
- Review: Fruits Basket Episode 07 - Best in Show!
- Review: Fruits Basket Episode 08 - Best in Show!
- Review: Fruits Basket Episode 09 - Best in Show!
- Review: Fruits Basket Episode 11 - Best in Show!
- Review: Fruits Basket Episode 12 - Best in Show!
- Review: Fruits Basket Episode 13 - Best in Show!
- Review: Fruits Basket Episode 14 - Best in Show!
- Review: Fruits Basket Episode 15 - Best in Show!