In Fruits Basket Season 2 episode 10, “Who Are You,” Tohru Honda learns that the Soumas meeting with Akito Souma was not the happy occasion she’d imagined it to be. She overhead a conversation between Kyou Souma and Momiji Souma, and the reality terrified her. She quickly hid her fear under her usual aura of cheerfulness. Meanwhile, Akito was trying to deal with a rising rage at the influence Tohru exerted on the Souma family. The rage boiled over, and Akito snuck out to pay a nighttime visit to the vacation house. Sensing what Akito was trying to do, Momiji Souma tried to protect Tohru — and incurred Akito’s wrath. What will Akito do to Momiji in order to get to Tohru? And just what does Akito plan to do to Tohru?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Best Moment in the Show: Tohru Declares Her Mission
Tohru declares her intent to go to war with a god. And you know what? My money’s on Tohru. Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
This episode delivered the confrontation hinted at way back in Season 1 episode 12, when Tohru put herself between Yuki Souma and Akito. She’d been terrified then, even though she only dimly perceived the extent of Akito’s malice. In this episode, the confrontation was much more intense. And much more personal.
We’ve watched Akito barely remain in control over the last couple of episodes. I think during the interviews with the Souma family members, Akito became more and unstable as it became more and more apparent how much positive influence Tohru had on the entire family. Well, we’d call it positive. Akito called it disruptive, ugly, or presumptuous. Finally, the head of the Souma family snapped.
I don’t want to focus on the confrontation — I don’t want to talk about how darling, tender-hearted Momiji Souma stood up to Akito and received a back-hand so powerful that it drew blood. I don’t want to talk about how Tohru tried to reason with Akito — tried even to sympathize — and received a level of verbal and physical abuse that left her on her knees with blood oozing from the scratches Akito left on her face. I don’t want to talk about how she realized that no, Akito wasn’t the Zodiac Rooster — Akito was the Zodiac god. And I don’t want to talk about how Tohru finally understood all of the power the Akito wielded over the family.
Tohru understood the power that Akito had over the rest of the family. And to demonstrate the irresistible force of goodness and warmth that is Tohru, she realized that not only does the curse bind all of the Zodiac. It also binds Akito. Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
And I won’t mention that the notes I took for this episode included the phrase “orbital bombardment” twice. No lie.
I want to focus on what Tohru did after living through all of that.
It was the morning after the confrontation. She wore a bandage on her cheek. She sat on Momiji’s bed as he slept peacefully beside her. He had gauze taped to the wound on his cheek. The sun was just beginning to shine through the opening in the curtains. Looking at her dear friend, gentle Tohru said (17:18), “I want to protect them. I’ll protect them no matter what. I… will…”
Akito hadn’t cowed her at all. If anything, the head of the family clarified her mission. And if there was any doubt, Tohru finally said, “I want to break the curse.”
I used to joke that Tanjirou from Demon Slayer was Tohru in combat form. I have a feeling she’s about to demonstrate her own form of combat that would make Tanjirou proud. In a conflict between Tohru and Akito, even if Akito is a god, my money’s on Tohru.
What did you think of Hatsuharu “Haru” Souma physically restraining Kyou from going after Akito to protect Tohru? What was your Best in Show moment? Let me know in the comments!
Other Posts about This Series
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Fruits Basket Season 2 – Episode 10 discussion
- RABUJOI: Fruits Basket – 35 (S2 10) – Squaring Off Against a God
- AngryAnimeBitches: Fruits Basket (2019) S2 Episode 10
This Site (Crow’s World of Anime!)
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 1: Hello Again
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 2: Eat Somen with Your Friends
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 3: Shall We Go and Get You Changed?
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 4: I Got Dumped…
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 5: Wait for me, tororo soba!
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 6: Are you really this stupid?
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 7: Let’s Start the Watermelon Splitting Contest!
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 8: Dog
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 9: My Precious…
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 10: Who Are You
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 11: All Mine
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 12: You Cried for Me
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 13: Sure Thing
- Review: Fruits Basket Season 2 Episode 14: I Should Just Die…