In Midnight occult civil servants episode 1, "Angels and Tengu Above the Shinjuku Skyline," Arata Miyako is excited to start his new job, but his enthusiasm wanes slightly as he finds the door looks like it's a broom closet. Being greeted by smoke from Seo Himezuka's experiment gone wrong didn't help. It also didn't help that his other co-worker, Kyouichi Sakaki, kept talking about a "rite of passage." Just what has Arata gotten himself into? Why are they working outside in the middle of the night? And what did Seo mean by "screaming and passing out?"
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Arata didn't realize it at first, but he could understand the angels and the tengu. But his co-workers couldn't! Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
Best Moment in the Show
My favorite moment in this episode came towards the end. The show did a great job of introducing us to this world through Arata's eyes. By the time he, Seo, and Kyouichi made it to the plaza in front of the government building, we had a good idea what was going on: An angel and a tengu had fallen in love with each other, but since their peoples were enemies, they didn't tell their families. The angel's sister thought the tengu was trying to kidnap her younger sister; the tengu's father thought the angels were trying to do the same with his son. Arata and his co-workers made it to the plaza in time for an angel to accidentally fall on Arata (17:45). He was fine; the angel apologize profusely; even the tengu said he was sorry. So why did Kyouichi pull and deploy a telescoping baton? Why did Seo pull out two flash bang grenades? Arata was also confused -- the two non-humans were falling all over themselves to apologize! As Seo threw a grenade, Arata realized something. His coworkers couldn't understand the angels or tengu! Arata did the only thing he could think of doing to prevent an all out battle: he blocked the flash bang with his body. All parties were so astonished that he had a chance to defuse the situation -- though he couldn't see very well! It was a fascinating way to introduce Arata to this world, and it was interesting to see that he had an ability that his co-workers didn't.
Other Posts about This Series
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Mayonaka no Occult Koumuin - Episode 1 discussion
- Rabujoi: Mayonaka no Occult Koumuin – 01 (First Impressions) – Believe What You See
- Draggle's Anime Blog: Mayonaka no Occult Koumuin — First Impressions
- Lost in Anime: First Impressions Digest – Mayonaka no Occult Koumuin, Shoumetsu Toshi, Fairy Gone
This Site (Crow's World of Anime!)
- Review: Midnight Occult Civil Servants Episode 02 - Best in Show
- Review: Midnight Occult Civil Servants Episode 03 – Best In Show
- Review: Midnight Occult Civil Servants Episode 04 – Best In Show
- Review: Midnight Occult Civil Servants Episode 05 – Best In Show
- Review: Midnight Occult Civil Servants Episode 06 – Best In Show
- Review: Midnight Occult Civil Servants Episode 07 – Best In Show
- Review: Midnight Occult Civil Servants Episode 08 – Best In Show
- Review: Midnight Occult Civil Servants Episode 09 – Best In Show
- Review: Midnight Occult Civil Servants Episode 10 – Best In Show