In Somali and the Forest Spirit episode 11, “Those Who Protect and Those Who Threaten,” Somali, with Shizuno’s kind encouragement, worked hard to finish a present for Golem, her dad. She had a good reason to hurry: Golem and Yabashira had almost finished their body guard job, and all of them were leaving for the next city tomorrow — using a map from a friend. Very quickly, though, that became the least of her concerns when Golem detected human hunters approaching the house. Can they get Somali to safety — especially considering that the friend who gave them the map was Auntie Rosa?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Best Moment in the Show
Somali was surprised — and really happy! — that Golem thanked her. And wow is his hand huge! Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
If there’s one thing I’ve learned about this series, it’s the more sweet the moment, the most brutal the payment later. That held particularly true in this episode. I’m not sure I’ll ever forget the scene of the hunters dragging a screaming and struggling Somali off her fallen dad.
I could feel a very primitive part of my brain trying to work out how to get through the screen and into the fight to help. Stupid primitive brain.
What I’m saying is that it was even hard to watch the happy moments knowing they were about to end. Abruptly. But they still gave me my Best in Show moment.
Golem finally came home with Yabashira. Somali could hardly contain herself, but when it came time to give her gift, she was still nervous and shy. She finally worked up the courage and presented it to him — as if it were the most important thing that had ever been created. He took the fita band from her and gave her one he’d purchased for her in the market.
Somali is so serious! Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
Sitting on the couch, she tied it on his wrist and, proudly showing the other hand on her wrist, proclaimed (05:30), “Now we match!”
Even as she thanked him, he placed an enormous hand on her head. “It is I who am grateful,” he told her (05:42). The surprised/happy/nearly tearful expression on her face was just precious.
I sure hope it’s not the last time we see such a moment…
What did you think of the snowball fight? What was your Best in Show moment? Let me know in the comments!
Other Posts about This Series
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Somali to Mori no Kamisama – Episode 11 discussion
- I Drink and Watch Anime: Somali and The Forest Spirit Episode 11 – Things Are Looking Grim
- The Otaku Author: Somali and the Forest Spirit (Episode 11) – Those Who Protect and Those Who Threaten
This Site (Crow’s World of Anime!)
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 1: Journeying Parent and Child
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 2: Edible Herbs and the Oni’s Dwelling
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 3: The Sea at the Bottom of the Cave
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 4: The Wishing Flower and the Promise Request
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 5: The Wandering Birds
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 6: Dying Flowers Look Up at the Birds
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 7: The Footsteps that Stalk the Witches
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 8: Meetings and Bonds Paid For
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 9: Memories of Minor Days
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 10: The Infant Child and the Green Fortress
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 11: Those Who Protect and Those Who Threaten
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 12: Bonded Father and Child