In Somali and the Forest Spirit episode 9, “Memories of Minor Days,” Golem and Somali were traveling through a rainy forest. Though Somali was keeping herself entertained by chasing frogs, Golem was worried that she would catch cold. He began searching for a place they could make camp. They found a tree house, fully provisioned, that sap harvesters used when they were working. It was deserted, and Golem fired up the hearth. At Somali’s urging, Golem baked something from a cookbook a worker had left. But their quiet father/daughter time was interrupted. Golem heard footsteps approaching. Would it be a friend? An enemy? Would it even be sentient? Or was some huge predator attracted by Somali’s scent?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Best Moment in the Show
Somali thought Golem’s dish was so delicious that she couldn’t help but cry. Kinda wish I could bake that well! Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
In a show with fantastic elements like mountain-sized turtles that rise up out of the sand or guard witches with magic staves protecting an aged head librarian witch, it’s easy to get caught up in the grandeur and spectacle. It’s easy to lose track of the little things that make this series so special. I was glad to see a reminder of those little things in this episode.
Golem and Somali were lucky to find a fully-stocked and provisioned tree house. Just think about that for a moment: How long would such a thing last in the human world? How long would it stay in one piece? But putting aside such a negative thought, once inside, there were snug and dry. Somali even found a cook book and asked Golem to make something for her.
What followed was a wholesome scene where Golem read the recipe, assembled the ingredients, and found ways for Somali to help. Somali was her usual energetic and inquisitive self. She tried hard to follow Golem’s instructions and mostly succeeded. She burst into a delighted smile when the ingredients came together. When it came time for Golem to mix egg whites and sugar until they were the consistency of clouds (06:35), neither he nor Somali were exactly sure what the recipe meant. But she was surprised and thrilled (and so was I!) that Golem had slow, medium, and fast mixing speeds.
Golem is way better than a mixer! He’s much better at conversation, for starters… Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
That kind of skill would definitely come in handy!
They had to cook the soufflé for “six turns of the hour glass,” and while they waited, a sleepy Somali almost took the Best in Show distinction when she said (07:29), “I’m so glad you’re my dad.” I mean, what father doesn’t want to hear his daughter say something like that? Even Golem paused for a moment before answering.
But the best moment was when the soufflé was done. Somali was all smiles when Golem put it in front of her. She dug her spoon in, blew on it to cool it off, and took a bite. Golem seemed almost anxious when he asked her how it was. He even seemed alarmed (in a low-key golem soft of way) when he saw she was crying! He asked he if’d left an egg shell inside or something.
“No,” she said (08:41). “It’s so good I couldn’t help but cry.” She was excited that she got to eat the first thing he’d ever cooked — the first thing her dad had ever cooked for her.
That’s the kind of thing that I love about this show. A dad cooked something for his daughter, and she loved it. It’s a simple moment. It’s not grandiose at all. But I felt a little better about the world after watching this scene.
What did you think about their meeting old friends? What was your Best in Show moment? Let me know in the comments!
Other Posts about This Series
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Somali to Mori no Kamisama – Episode 9 discussion
- I Drink and Watch Anime: Somali and The Forest Spirit Episode 9 – Sugar Shack
- The Otaku Author: Somali and the Forest Spirit (Episode 9) – Memories of Minor Days
This Site (Crow’s World of Anime!)
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 1: Journeying Parent and Child
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 2: Edible Herbs and the Oni’s Dwelling
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 3: The Sea at the Bottom of the Cave
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 4: The Wishing Flower and the Promise Request
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 5: The Wandering Birds
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 6: Dying Flowers Look Up at the Birds
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 7: The Footsteps that Stalk the Witches
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 8: Meetings and Bonds Paid For
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 9: Memories of Minor Days
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 10: The Infant Child and the Green Fortress
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 11: Those Who Protect and Those Who Threaten
- Somali and the Forest Spirit Episode 12: Bonded Father and Child