In To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts Episode 02, "The Dragon's Daughter," John William Bancroft doesn't have the most money in the world, but he's happy living with his daughter Nancy Schaal Bancroft and the orphans in the orphanage. He's less than thrilled about being drafted, but he makes arrangements to keep the orphanage going. When the war ended, it was quite a shock when he came back as a gigantic dragon. Realizing he was still the same man in a different form, they let their relief and joy at his return take over, and for a time, all was well. But the villagers became increasingly alarmed as their livestock started going missing, and the dragon starting howling through the night. Can Nancy keep her family together? And what is she to make of the sudden appearance of Hank Henriette?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Best Moment in the Show
You know the cliche: There's a monster in the castle and villagers holding pitchforks and torches converge to burn the monster out. Though I have definitely seen that sort of thing play out in real life! But between a lack of affection for cliches and an existential exhaustion at that sort of thing in the real world, I was dreading seeing it happen here.
The lead-up was certainly there. John started bellowing in the middle of the night. Townspeople were getting worried. Even his daughter was on edge. So when they showed up on Nancy's doorstep, I feared the worst.
One of them said that he'd lost many cows (10:25). Another pointed out they were torn to pieces. She asked if they suspected her father.
"Here it comes," I thought.
But it didn't. One man presented evidence, and he knew it was circumstantial (10:40). Another pointed out that they didn't want to suspect him because they were so grateful to him for protecting them in the war. So instead of storming him with weapons, they asked him to wear a huge bell. That way, if John in dragon form was attacking their livestock, they'd know.
An older man even said that he hoped this would prove that John's innocent! After all, if the next attack was silent, it wasn't him!
Some faith in humanity restored!
What did you think of this moment? What was your favorite? Let me know in the comments!
Other Posts about This Series
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Katsute Kami Datta Kemono-tachi e - Episode 2 discussion
- Couch and Chill: [First Impression] To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts Episodes 1 & 2
This Site (Crow's World of Anime!)
- Review: To The Abandoned Sacred Beasts Episode 01 – Best In Show
- Review: To The Abandoned Sacred Beasts Episode 02 – Best In Show
- Review: To The Abandoned Sacred Beasts Episode 03 – Best In Show
- Review: To The Abandoned Sacred Beasts Episode 04 – Best In Show
- Review: To The Abandoned Sacred Beasts Episode 05 – Best In Show
- Review: To The Abandoned Sacred Beasts Episode 06 – Best In Show
- Review: To The Abandoned Sacred Beasts Episode 07 – Best in Show
- Review: To The Abandoned Sacred Beasts Episode 08 – Best in Show