The Eminence in Shadow Episode 17 – Quick Summary
In The Eminence in Shadow episode 17, “The Moonlight That Pierces the Darkness,” Cid felt astonished to hear someone playing Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata on a piano nearby. He followed the sound until he found the pianist entertaining an audience of nobles. He almost seemed disappointed that the pianist was Epsilon! But apparently Beta and Gamma aren’t the only ones with “secret” public lives! Epsilon’s performance gave Cid an idea. What’s he up to? Why does he need Moonlight Sonata? And where will he find a piano?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Favorite Quote from The Eminence in Shadow Episode 17
At this point, Beta’s just humoring Alexia. And keeping herself amused! Capture from the HIDIVE stream.
I’m beginning to wonder if Beta wants Alexia to figure out Natsuma’s not just a novelist – but someone not to be trifled with? Because I know Beta can act – and she straight-up acted so terribly in response to Alexia’s joke that I wonder if she intended a hidden message?
Or not. Maybe Beta was just having too much fun.
Beta and Alexia descended stair after stair, down, into the darkness. Alexia talked about how they were heading for a labyrinth, but that the maps had long since been lost. So, reasonably, Beta asked why they were going to those passages now.
“To dispose of your body,” Alexia said (10:45).
Beta didn’t respond, so Alexia said, “That was a joke. You’re not even a little bit scared.”
The camera showed Beta. Her expression didn’t change at all. She walked down a few more steps, and after a protracted silence, said (10:55), “Eeeeek! Don’t kill me!”
It was the least convincing performance I’ve ever seen! But also one of the funnier ones.
Favorite Moment from The Eminence in Shadow Episode 17
I knew it was an act. But man, Cid delivered a great performance! Capture from the HIDIVE stream.
Setup: Cid’s Attention to Detail Is Impressive
Did you see the shot around 21:45 where some police or detectives milled around where the atrium’s grand piano had been? I wondered where Cid found the piano that appears in my favorite moment!
Cid knows how to stage a scene. I’ll give him that!
The episode gave us all the pieces ahead of time. Epsilon playing Moonlight Sonata; the flashback to Cid’s learning to play piano, not because his parents wanted him to, but because by practicing piano, folks would leave him alone in a socially acceptable way; his love of theatrical presentation. It was all there.
It was great seeing her so happy with her performance. Also, it also helped prepare us for my favorite moment! Capture from the HIDIVE stream.
Even as Rose approached the sound of someone (we knew it was Cid) playing Moonlight Sonata, I had an idea of what was going to happen. Cid was going to serenade her. She’d confront her despair; he would say something cool; he’d heal her; and she’d get back on course.
It’s a set piece, right? This is The Eminence in Shadow. We all knew how it was going to play out. It felt familiar. There was little ambiguity. Yet, based on what we’ve seen before, there was a hope that Cid would give us something amazing.
Rose scrambled down a shattered wall to emerge in a huge underground room. Stained glass let in light from the ceiling. White feathers moved upwards in a breeze. On a dais in the center sat Cid as Shadow, and he played flawlessly. No, he played with understated passion. We shared Rose’s wonder at the beauty of it.
Delivery: Even the Wind Obeys Cid!
Then the music suddenly became quiet, and the feathers changed direction. The wind itself obeyed Cid’s will! I knew we were in expert hands.
Against that backdrop, Cid stopped playing and asked what she wanted. He practically berated her for almost giving up. She tried to defend herself – textbook, but well-executed, shōnen material.
My favorite part was when he told her he would give her power if she still wanted to fight.
“If I use that power,” she asked (17:14), “will I be able to change the future?”
Cid said exactly what Rose needed to hear to help her make the right decision. Fortunately, it was not only right for the plot; it was right for her. Capture from the HIDIVE stream.
I realized I was holding my breath. To stay true to the trope, to stay true to form, he had to answer in a certain way, in a certain tone. And he nailed it when he said (17:19), “That depends on you.”
He might as well have been an oracle of old. Dude came across as an agent of fate, or destiny – in other words, Cid. He might think he’s playing a game. From his perspective, he’s crafting perfect scenes to satisfy his imagination. But to Shadow Garden and those in the know like Alexia and even Rose, he’s an unstoppable force. Usually for good. Seriously, how cool is that?
What did you think of how easily Rose took out the agents from the Cult of Diablos? What were your favorite moments from the episode? Feel free to let me know in the comments!
The Eminence in Shadow Episode 17: Other Posts
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! | The Eminence in Shadow – Episode 17 discussion
- RABUJOI: The Eminence in Shadow – 17 – Moonlight Oriana
- OTAKU SINH: Fighting Evil in the Moonlight. The Eminence in Shadow Episode 17 [Review]
This Site (Crow’s World of Anime!)
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 1: The Hated Classmate
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 2: Shadow Garden is Born
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 3: Fencer Ordinaire
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 4: Sadism’s Rewards
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 5: I Am
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 6: Pretenders
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 7: A Fencing Tournament of Intrigue & Bloodshed
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 8: Dark Knight Academy Under Attack
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 9: The End of a Lie
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 10: The Sacred Land, City of Deception
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 11: The Goddess’ Trial
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 12: The Truth Within the Memories
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 13: A Bloody Showdown as an Offering to Annihilation
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 14: Your Life, Your Wish
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 15: The Strongest Weakest Man
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 16: Unseen Intentions
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 17: The Moonlight That Pierces the Darkness
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 18: Betting on a Moment
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 19: Dancing Puppet
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 20: Advent of the Demon