The Eminence in Shadow Episode 18 – Quick Summary
In The Eminence in Shadow episode 18, “Betting on a Moment,” Cid might have miscalculated a little. His sister, Claire, wasn’t just mad at him. She was transcendentally furious with him. So much so that it looked doubtful that Cid could keep his neck intact without using a suspicious amount of power. Can he appease his older sister and keep his spine unbroken? Will he even survive to compete as Mundane Mann? And would Annerose feel disappointed if he forfeited the match because his sister and put him in the grave?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Favorite Quote from The Eminence in Shadow Episode 18
Cid’s shows enviable focus. Capture from the HIDIVE stream.
I really admire Cid’s dedication to his goals. He wanted to make sure Mundane Mann was an underdog that went under the radar, even as he amassed more wins. But it’s really hard for Cid to judge his success, because as a background character, he doesn’t get a chance to mingle much.
Claire inadvertently helped him in this episode. She gave him her ticket to the VIP section, where he could mingle with people like Iris. She and two other nobles discussed the competitors. Cid casually asked about Annerose’s upcoming opponent, Mundane Mann. One of the nobles thought he was fast, but that was about it. The other said Mann was not “main tournament material.”
“Yes!” Cid said to himself in triumph (08:44). “I have cultivated Mundane’s reputation to perfection!”
I also admire his enthusiasm.
Favorite Moment from The Eminence in Shadow Episode 18
Annerose’s grace in defeat is just beautiful. Capture from the HIDIVE stream.
Setup: Surviving the Wrath of Claire
I’m curious about how Cid’s going to survive the Wrath of Claire in the next episode. We all know Cid could overpower her, but the question is: how is is going to do it without her learning just how powerful he is?
I mean, just imagine: she totally digs him now like the shameless brocon she is. What if she realizes he’s even more amazing than she thought? The Flames of Brocon might rival Cid’s Atomic powers! At least on a tactical level.
So we have that to look forward to.
My favorite moment in this episode was quick. We all knew Annerose could not prevail against Mundane Mann. Because of that, I wondered how she would react. She seems like a sweet-tempered soul, insofar as a warrior can be sweet-tempered. But she was also wildly capable. she had to be proud of her abilities. How would she accept defeat?
Well, we got to find out. As Mundane Man shambled back to his locker room (or wherever combatants go), she caught up with him. I am a bad man for even thinking this, but she looked very attractive in bandages. She obviously takes care of her skin.
I joked about how attractive she looks – but in reality, it’s her gracious smile that does it. She has a beautiful attitude. Capture from the HIDIVE stream.
If I had any worries that she’d be bitter in defeat, she swept them aside almost instantly. She acted almost cheerful. She told Mundane she’d been traveling to get stronger, and she had thought she had peaked. But now he had shown her a glimpse of another level of strength. She even offered to shake his hand to congratulate him.
Delivery: Grace in Defeat, Grace in Victory
It’s hard to know when Cid’s acting and when he’s being sincere. Actually, it’s hard to know if Cid can be sincere, even to himself. But the smile he showed on Mundane Mann’s face sure looked authentic. Reaching out to take her hand, he said (18:23), “That was the first time I removed my shackles. You have nothing to be ashamed of.”
And they shook hands.
Cid, through Mundane Mann, seemed to genuinely want Annerose to feel good about her performance. If she only knew who and what she had really gone up against… Capture from the HIDIVE stream.
That’s the way competitions should be. Those two competitors respected each other. They didn’t feel a need to denigrate the other. Even in the spirit of mutual respect, Cid didn’t really need to mention that he took his weights off just for her. But he wanted her to feel good about the preparations he had made for her.
Well, maybe for Cid, that’s exactly what he had to do. But did you see her smile when he shared that with her? She was delighted. You could see her quiet joy at having found a new goal for her life.
That moment made me realize how much I miss that spirit in too many aspects of life in the USA. Maybe the reminder will help me do what I can to increase the frequency of that kind of thing, at least at my local level. Gotta start somewhere, right?
What did you think of Claire’s smile at the end? What were your favorite moments? Feel free to share in the comments!
The Eminence in Shadow Episode 18: Other Posts
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! | The Eminence in Shadow – Episode 18 discussion
- RABUJOI: The Eminence in Shadow – 18 – Absolute Confidence
- OTAKU SINGH: Going Beyond the “Mid.” The Eminence in Shadow Episode 18 [Review]
This Site (Crow’s World of Anime!)
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 1: The Hated Classmate
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 2: Shadow Garden is Born
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 3: Fencer Ordinaire
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 4: Sadism’s Rewards
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 5: I Am
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 6: Pretenders
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 7: A Fencing Tournament of Intrigue & Bloodshed
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 8: Dark Knight Academy Under Attack
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 9: The End of a Lie
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 10: The Sacred Land, City of Deception
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 11: The Goddess’ Trial
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 12: The Truth Within the Memories
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 13: A Bloody Showdown as an Offering to Annihilation
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 14: Your Life, Your Wish
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 15: The Strongest Weakest Man
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 16: Unseen Intentions
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 17: The Moonlight That Pierces the Darkness
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 18: Betting on a Moment
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 19: Dancing Puppet
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 20: Advent of the Demon