The Eminence in Shadow Episode 20 – Quick Summary
In The Eminence in Shadow episode 20, “Advent of the Demon,” Beatrix reveled in her chance to cross swords with Cid. However, there was someone else who wanted in on the action: Iris. Stinging from the humiliating defeat delivered by Mundane Mann, she seemed to be in a state of shock. That is, until she realized that Mundane Mann was actually Lord Shadow. Her rage exploded. Will Beatrix let join the fight? Will Cid? And will the two of them together be able to even scratch Lord Shadow?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Favorite Quote from The Eminence in Shadow Episode 20
Iris seemed to think she was making progress. The reality had to hurt her pride! Capture from the HIDIVE stream.
This series showed an impressive dedication to its core concept: namely, that Cid regards the world as a stage whose sole purpose is to allow him to craft moments he thinks are cool.
And they ran with it.
My favorite quote in this episode had a lot of competition. But I chose this one because it encapsulates Cid’s perspective. It also emphasizes the difference between his skill and the skill of even someone like Iris.
The kingdom regards Iris as one of its best warriors. She is practically undefeated. Her expectations for her performance were sky-high. In this episode, she even picked up a magical sword/artifact and seemed to produce magma-style flames. And she swung it with abandon. Buildings fell right and left.
But how did Cid see such a potent combination of weapon and wielder?
“Not bad,” he said, sounding amused (04:40). “I’ll give you points for stunning visuals.”
Cid saw Iris as a performer. One who could make pretty flashy lights. And no more.
I guess she should feel flattered he noticed her at all!
Favorite Moment from The Eminence in Shadow Episode 20
I wonder if Cid would be happy to know that Rose found his early work inspirational. Capture from the HIDIVE stream.
Setup: A Target Rich Environment
Choosing a single moment is tough. Of course, it’s a show about a dude who lives to make cool moments. What did I expect?
Cid “LOL JK-ing” about nuking the city was in the running. Beatrix merely sheathing her sword after the fight as Iris lost herself to impotent rage was another. Seeing Alexandria, even briefly, piqued my interest. Hell, Cid stopping Iris’s artifact attack with his freaking fist stood out!
But there was one moment that not only had me on the edge of my seat. It had me talking to the screen. And it had everything to do with Rose.
She had escaped from Asshat. But she’d just killed her father (and I’m still wondering about that). She had nowhere to go. She didn’t know what she should do. Moreover, she didn’t know what she could do. She even wondered if she should (05:13) “join up with the anti-Perv resistance.” Which I guess is a thing.
Joining the anti-Perv resistance seemed like a decent option! Capture from the HIDIVE stream.
Then Alpha showed up.
Now, you need to understand that I freaking adore Alpha. My only real regret about this series is that we didn’t get to see more about her. Maybe the lack of screen time added to her mystery and allure. But even based on what we saw, I love her strength, her attitude, and her drive.
She showed up and gave Rose two choices: continue to try to fight on her own, or (06:42) “fight by our side in Shadow Garden.”
I kid you not, that made me lean forward. I really, really wanted Rose to say she’d join. Now, you might say I was being rash, and you’d be right. Rose, to her credit, didn’t answer right away. She forced herself to evaluate the options. Alpha’s calm assurance damaged her calm. But she stayed focused. She asked Alpha if Shadow Garden would help her save the kingdom. Alpha answered, no, not as she was now.
Delivery: Rose Makes the Call
Iris or Alexia would have gone on a fury binge. Rose, though, mastered her emotions and asked if her kingdom could be saved – a very astute question. Alpha calmly answered that the answer depended on Rose.
She thought of the Cid she thought of as her boyfriend. She thought of Asshat, and she thought of the father she had killed. But do you know what swayed her? What seemed to be the deciding memory?
The memory of the Stylish Bandit Slayer with his red eyes blazing through the eye-holds in the paper bag on his head.
Around this point, I’m still urging her to go with Shadow Garden. No, I didn’t think that would matter. I’m not Cid; my delusions don’t manufacture reality! But I still rooted for her.
Rose is a very different woman than Iris. Capture from the HIDIVE stream.
“I pledge to fight alongside you,” Rose said (07:34). They shook on it, and Alpha’s cloak wrapped around both of them.
I’m going to miss this show. I’m going to miss Shadow Garden. Cid’s ability to stage a scene, too. And I’m going to miss characters like Beatrix and Annerose who stole almost every scene they were in. Most of all, I’m going to miss writing about this series. But there’s always hope for another season, isn’t there?
What did you think of the right between Cid, Iris, and Beatrix (or, more accurately, between Cid and Beatrix)? What were your favorite moments? Feel free to let me know in the comments!
The Eminence in Shadow Episode 20: Other Posts
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! | The Eminence in Shadow – Episode 20 discussion – FINAL
- RABUJOI: The Eminence in Shadow – 20 (Fin) – Just Getting Started
- OTAKU SINH: A Lasting Impression! The Eminence in Shadow Episode 20 [Review]
This Site (Crow’s World of Anime!)
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 1: The Hated Classmate
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 2: Shadow Garden is Born
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 3: Fencer Ordinaire
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 4: Sadism’s Rewards
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 5: I Am
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 6: Pretenders
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 7: A Fencing Tournament of Intrigue & Bloodshed
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 8: Dark Knight Academy Under Attack
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 9: The End of a Lie
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 10: The Sacred Land, City of Deception
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 11: The Goddess’ Trial
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 12: The Truth Within the Memories
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 13: A Bloody Showdown as an Offering to Annihilation
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 14: Your Life, Your Wish
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 15: The Strongest Weakest Man
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 16: Unseen Intentions
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 17: The Moonlight That Pierces the Darkness
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 18: Betting on a Moment
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 19: Dancing Puppet
- The Eminence in Shadow Episode 20: Advent of the Demon