The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 1 Review – Quick Summary
In The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 1, “The Misfit of Demon King Academy,” it had been 2000 years since the Demon King left the world, and prophecy said he will reappear this year. Naturally, all eyes are on the Demon King Academy’s students, where the next Demon King is expected to reintroduce himself. Aristocratic students like Zepes Indu assume they’re in line, especially compared to a no-name young woman named Misha Necron, who had the misfortune to drop her letter of introduction near Zepes. When Anos Voltegourde, another non-noble student, picked it up for her, Zepes tried to assert his power and authority. Anos, however, seemed beyond unconcerned. What gives him such confidence? Is he just showing off for Misha? Or is there something else, something much bigger, going on?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Best in Show Moment for The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 1
Arnos, the reincarnated Demon King of Tyranny, is really nice to his mom. Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
Setup: Anos Shows His Enemies Absolute (But Polite!) Brutality
The show wasted absolutely zero time showing us viewers that Anos is, in fact, the reincarnated Demon King of Tyranny. Some of the characters like Zepes, however, didn’t seem to have gotten the message.
It’s true that Zepes was blinded by his upbringing. Apparently, in this world, aristocrats wielded a lot of power and influence. However, from the instant Zepes met Anos and the latter literally breathed a little bit and put Zepes in his place, it should have been clear to Zepes that he was outmatched.
But no, Zepes didn’t learn. In the school arena, where he was pitted against Anos, Zepes counted on his venerable anti-demonic armor to protect him. It didn’t. In fact, Anos snapped his finger and destroyed Zepes’ body. As in killed him. Dead. Just as easily, Anos brought him back and asked Zepes if he’d learned his lesson.
It took several rinse/repeat cycles until Zepes finally admitted that he couldn’t fight against someone who could snuff out his life with a finger snap. Anos was polite. It was almost like he honestly wanted to teach Zepes a lesson. So I’m wondering, just what kind of main character is Anos? Sure, it was fun watching such a display of power, but it’s not going to be enjoyable watching someone who’s cruel for fun.
All Anos had to do was snap his fingers to obliterate Zepes. Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
Delivery: Anos Also Loves His Parents!
The first clue was how Anos treated Misha. First, let it be said that I like Misha. Where some might see a blank character, I see a powerful yet reserved young woman who keeps her own council. But even if I’m right, she’s not at all assertive. So when Anos picked up her envelop and handed it to her, I thought was was a gentlemanly gesture.
After he passed the entrance exam, Anos asked Misha to come home with him to celebrate. And meet his parents. Yes, the Demon King of Tyranny has parents, and danged if they aren’t some of the nicest people you’ll ever meet. When he walked into the house, his mom greeted him affectionally. Then, almost shyly, she asked if he’d passed. He earned a huge hug when he answered that he had.
His father, too, was hugely happy for him. Predictably, his parents were overjoyed to meet Misha. And of course, they assumed she was Anos’ new girlfriend. She didn’t seem to mind, but afterward, he told her (11:38), “Sorry. My mom can be quick to jump to conclusions.”
Anos’ mom and dad both assumed he had brought Misha home to introduce her as his wife. Strangely, the massively powerful Anos felt compelled to apologize to Misha. Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
The contrast between casually slaughtering an enemy and hugging his mom with honest affection gave me hope that this is going to be a very interesting show!
What did you think of how Anos acted during the fight against Zepes’ older brother? What was your Best in Show moment? Let me know in the comments!
The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 1: Other Posts
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha – Episode 1 discussion
- Anime Evo: The Misfit of Demon King Academy – 01 [First Look]
- Random Curiosity: Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha – 01
This Site (Crow’s World of Anime!)
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 1 Review: The Misfit of Demon King Academy
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 2 Review: The Witch of Destruction
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 3 Review: Sasha’s True Intentions
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 4 Review: 15th Birthday
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 5 Review: The Transfer Student
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 6 Review: Magic Sword Tournament
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 7 Review: Mother’s Words
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 8 Review: The Final Duel
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 9 Review: The Mystery of the Hero Academy
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 10 Review: The Inter-Academy Exams
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 11 Review: The Glow of Life
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 12 Review: Taboo Magic
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 13 Review: Let the World Be Filled with Love