The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 4 Review – Quick Summary
In The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 4, “15th Birthday,” Sasha Necron had done her level best to make her sister, Misha Necron, hate her passionately. That included plunging a knife into her chest. Yet, Sasha’s Demonic Eyes of Destruction remained quiet and unused, which suggested she wasn’t really feeling it. With Anos Voltegourde in the picture, what could Sasha possibly hope to gain? At the same time, the plot around Avos Dihevia deepened, as Ivis Necron made another appearance. What’s his angle? Does he still intend to stay neutral? Or does he have other plans?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Best in Show Moment for The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 4
Sometimes a smile is just that heart-warming! Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
Setup: Misha Never Expected to be 15
This episode challenged me: Should I pick a big moment, like Anos going head to head with the god of time and winning? Or should I pick an interesting plot tidbit, like Anos bringing Ivis Necron back, in his true form and without Avos Dihevia’s adjustments? Or do I go with a quiet emotional moment?
I’m going to go with the quiet emotional moment. Sure, the over the top Demon King crushing a literal deity is fun, but by now, I’m pretty clear on the idea that no confrontation is going to be a challenge for Anos. I mean, killing him doesn’t kill him. What’s his opponents going to do? It’s popcorn fun to watch, and I by no means want to disparage it because I enjoy it quite a lot. But it’s not my favorite moment.
Though Anos’ “I’d save both” is right up there in terms of sheer coolness (10:43)…
Anos almost took the Best in Show moment with his “I’d save both.” But I don’t think he’d mind me awarding it to Misha. I hope. Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
No, the moment I chose belongs to Misha. Being born of the same soul of Sasha, Misha was supposed to re-fuse with the original on midnight of her fifteenth birthday. She knew this. Misha believed that she would cease to exist at midnight. Yet, what did she do? Did she mope? Throw a tantrum?
No, she picked out a birthday present for her sister, who she adored. That same sister plunged a knife into Misha’s chest, but she had a good reason for it, and that part worked out in the end. That was thanks to Anos and his “I’ll break time because I wanna” power.
Delivery: Misha’s 15 with a Cool Birthday Present
We know that Misha didn’t expect to see 15. What does that have to do with the moment I chose? Everything!
Remember back in the previous episode when Misha picked out the robe for Sasha? Anos noticed that the Lily Pad Ice Ring had caught Misha’s eye. He even said it seemed to call out to her. Misha turned it down, of course, probably because she didn’t think she’d be around to enjoy it. But in that moment, between finding what she thought was the perfect gift for Sasha and Anos showing consideration for her, she was very, very happy.
After Anos did the whole Defeat the Deity thing, the three of them came out of his castle into the pre-dawn light. Misha and Sasha were understandably emotional. Misha was happy to be alive; Sasha was happy she did not have to commit suicide to preserve her sister’s life.
I was glad to see these two happy. Did my heart good, it did! Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
After saying how much he liked this world, Anos unceremoniously asked for Misha’s hand. She didn’t hesitate. He slid the Lily Pad Ice Ring onto her ring finger. “Happy birthday,” he said (22:36).
Her smile is my favorite moment of the episode. Given everything she’s been through, and given how warm and loving she remained throughout, she deserved that moment. I’m glad to have shared it with her.
Do you have any theories about who Avos Dihevia was or what he’s up to? What was your Best in Show moment? Let me know in the comments!
The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 4: Other Posts
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha: Shijou Saikyou no Maou no Shiso, Tensei shite Shison-tachi no Gakkou e – Episode 4 discussion
- Anime Evo: The Misfit of Demon King Academy – 04
- Random Curiosity: Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha – 04
This Site (Crow’s World of Anime!)
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 1 Review: The Misfit of Demon King Academy
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 2 Review: The Witch of Destruction
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 3 Review: Sasha’s True Intentions
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 4 Review: 15th Birthday
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 5 Review: The Transfer Student
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 6 Review: Magic Sword Tournament
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 7 Review: Mother’s Words
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 8 Review: The Final Duel
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 9 Review: The Mystery of the Hero Academy
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 10 Review: The Inter-Academy Exams
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 11 Review: The Glow of Life
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 12 Review: Taboo Magic