The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 5 Review – Quick Summary
In The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 5, “The Transfer Student,” Anos Voltegourde was pleased to see his swordsman of old, Shin Regalia, reincarnated just in time to join his lord. Unfortunately, the reincarnated swordsman, now named Ray Gransdori, had no memory of his previous life. Ray was already a fantastic swordsman, so Anos had to reintroduce him to another concept: earning his position by merit. Anos, then, declined Ray’s offer to join Sasha Necron and Misha Necron on the Demon Lord’s team. Instead, he had to prove his worth on another team — against Anos. Can Ray regain his standing with his previous master? Or will he destroy himself in the process?
Note: This post may include spoilers, so be cautious.
Best in Show Moment for The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 5
Anos didn’t want to just win. He wanted to win with style! Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
Setup: Anos Makes Ray Apply for His Old Job
This show has seriously embraced Anos’ Over Powered (OPed) nature. As we saw in the previous episode, Anos can slay the god of time, so we know that anything short of a god isn’t going to stand a chance against him. In this episode, we met Misa Iriologue, who is a member of the Anos Fan Union. It’s a group of young women who completely buy into the idea that he’s the reincarnated Demon King of Tranny. Plus, they all seemed quite smitten with him. Instant harem: just add Anos.
They also apparently draw their own doujinshi. Sasha appeared to be quite a fan.
Just from a humor perspective, I have been happy with the series. This episode was hilarious in how it took the tropes, amped them up to 11, and just ran with them. But it also did something else that I appreciated enough to make it my favorite moment in the episode.
It’s not enough that Anos has a harem. He has to have a large, instant, socially-conscious harem. Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
Where’s a show go when it gives us a character that not only kills gods, but who brags that death him won’t kill him? If the victor is certain in every fight, what’s left?
Style points. That’s what’s left.
Style points like walking into the Anos Fan Union, smiling confidently, and watching all the young women not only swoon, but react individually according to their personality. One even danced in circles. But that was just the warmup.
Delivery: Anos Can, In Fact, Beat That With a Stick
Ray asked to join Anos’ team immediately, but Anos had a firm rule: everyone has to prove their resolve. That included the Anos Fan Union. The condition for all of them joining his team? They all had to take on him, Sasha, and Misha in a team game. No holding back — they had to give it their all.
Anos assigned Misha and Sasha to take on the Anos Fan Union while he personally fought Ray. Ray was polite and so laid back that if you weren’t careful, his manner might lull you into thinking he didn’t have any skills or drive. Anos didn’t make that mistake.
What Anos did do, though, was give Ray a handicap. Since Ray had given his powerful magic sword to Misa, that left him with a lackluster “normal” sword. Anos chose to face him with a stick. Yes, a piece of wood that had just lying around. It had a small “Y” 2/3 of the way to the tip. As we might have expected, it was more than enough.
Anos fought the whole battle with a stick. Against a sword. And he even used the little extra little branch! Capture from the Crunchyroll stream.
At first, Ray didn’t do well at all. He hadn’t remembered that he was actually Anos’ original master swordsman. But he began to recall sentiments. Not memories, exactly, but the sense that it was right for him to follow Anos. As he remembered more and more, his attacks gained in strength, and Anos kept his defense and attacks in step. They got to the point where the force from each strike obliterated acres of forest. Sasha even said (19:48), “Come on, Anos! What the heck are you doing?” Their fight had leveled a mountain and blown away a river. That kind of display of power is cool and all, but it’s not enough for the Best in Show Moment. That came next.
It all came down to style. Ray leapt into the air so what he thought was the finishing blow would strike from on high. Anos used the angle of Ray’s sword to carve a sharp point in his stick, then used the “Y” branch to snap Ray’s sword. He was left with a sharp, pointed stick pointed straight at Ray’s throat.
I knew who’d win in the end. But it was really cool to see how he won.
What did you think of the brief sword training exercise? What was your Best in Show moment? Let me know in the comments!
The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 5: Other Posts
Other Anime Sites
- Reddit: Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha: Shijou Saikyou no Maou no Shiso, Tensei shite Shison-tachi no Gakkou e – Episode 5 discussion
- Anime Evo: The Misfit of Demon King Academy – 05
- Random Curiosity: Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha – 05
This Site (Crow’s World of Anime!)
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 1 Review: The Misfit of Demon King Academy
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 2 Review: The Witch of Destruction
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 3 Review: Sasha’s True Intentions
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 4 Review: 15th Birthday
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 5 Review: The Transfer Student
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 6 Review: Magic Sword Tournament
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 7 Review: Mother’s Words
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 8 Review: The Final Duel
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 9 Review: The Mystery of the Hero Academy
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 10 Review: The Inter-Academy Exams
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 11 Review: The Glow of Life
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 12 Review: Taboo Magic
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 13 Review: Let the World Be Filled with Love